Advertisements
Question for the infamous candyman

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chris15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2012, 07:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Question for the infamous candyman

Alright so candyman, im lookin to lower the pt. should i buy toxicos and cut some material in my springs, where i can get the drop i want, or buy a set of eibach lowering springs and only get 1-1 1/2 in the front, and 2" in the rear? I would like to put coilovers on it but due to budget issues, it wouldnt be for quite some time.
Old 11 May 2012, 09:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Question for the infamous candyman

Don't cut the factory springs. Everybody that has done that had major problems with the suspension.
Old 11 May 2012, 09:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

ok Eric, i sent Don a PM and a text, so hopefully he'll get back to you asap.
Old 11 May 2012, 10:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

here bro, you can check this out too, Lowered pt's you might want to do a search for "Lowered" type threads, but i think 808 has a lot of experience with drops too. you can ask chromenut too.
Old 11 May 2012, 11:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Question for the infamous candyman

Hey Eric,

I second that you big time don't want to cut your springs. It used to be the thing to do, and on a lot of older rides it was not too big of an issue so long as it was done right, but a PT is set up different and can wind up with major issues that you don't need or want.

I have had countless discussions with people who want to argue this one, but trust me, its just not worth it., and here is the short version of why not.

The rear springs are gravity loaded meaning the vehicle relys much on its own weight to maintain the stick spring in place and therefore if you jack up your PT and relieve pressure off the rear axle assembly, you can pull the rear springs out by hand with no trouble at all. In addition you would notice that the top of the rear springs are smaller at the top in order to help the spring seat properly into the upper cup. Now lets say you were to cut the rear springs, or sag them with a torch. The heat would cause the material in the spring to lose its temper making it brittle and will both tend to sag, and eventually could likely break. If you cut it with a chop saw, the spring may likely not seat proper and can become dislodged. Neither way is much fun. Also if the springs are not cut at exactly the same point you can throw your suspension geometry off causing your tires to wear off center and more than likely pull to one side or the other wit no way to realign.

Front is basically the same but more critical due to more complex issues.

For the amount of drop your talking about, I would look for some Eibechs, or H&R Springs. Both are pretty decent and both have the mild type drop your talking about for somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple hundred bucks. Both are progressively wound for better ride, and its cheap, easy, and the best bang for the buck.

Like you say, Coilovers are nice but pricy, air is even more, and then custom air like I have on mine is in all reality bout the price of another PT and then some.

My best advice, keep an eye out on Craig"s List or Ebay and you can usually find some good deals on decent drop springs. Rear ones just spip in and out by hand, and front go straight replacement on the front strut assembly. Note: If you have never replaced springs on a strut assembly nor have access to a spring compressor, have a shop change them out for you. The springs are under a good amount of tension and can fly off at high velocity potentially ruining your day in a heartbeat.

If you have anymore questions on anything, please let me know.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 12 May 2012, 01:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Hey Eric,

I second that you big time don't want to cut your springs. It used to be the thing to do, and on a lot of older rides it was not too big of an issue so long as it was done right, but a PT is set up different and can wind up with major issues that you don't need or want.

I have had countless discussions with people who want to argue this one, but trust me, its just not worth it., and here is the short version of why not.

The rear springs are gravity loaded meaning the vehicle relys much on its own weight to maintain the stick spring in place and therefore if you jack up your PT and relieve pressure off the rear axle assembly, you can pull the rear springs out by hand with no trouble at all. In addition you would notice that the top of the rear springs are smaller at the top in order to help the spring seat properly into the upper cup. Now lets say you were to cut the rear springs, or sag them with a torch. The heat would cause the material in the spring to lose its temper making it brittle and will both tend to sag, and eventually could likely break. If you cut it with a chop saw, the spring may likely not seat proper and can become dislodged. Neither way is much fun. Also if the springs are not cut at exactly the same point you can throw your suspension geometry off causing your tires to wear off center and more than likely pull to one side or the other wit no way to realign.

Front is basically the same but more critical due to more complex issues.

For the amount of drop your talking about, I would look for some Eibechs, or H&R Springs. Both are pretty decent and both have the mild type drop your talking about for somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple hundred bucks. Both are progressively wound for better ride, and its cheap, easy, and the best bang for the buck.

Like you say, Coilovers are nice but pricy, air is even more, and then custom air like I have on mine is in all reality bout the price of another PT and then some.

My best advice, keep an eye out on Craig"s List or Ebay and you can usually find some good deals on decent drop springs. Rear ones just spip in and out by hand, and front go straight replacement on the front strut assembly. Note: If you have never replaced springs on a strut assembly nor have access to a spring compressor, have a shop change them out for you. The springs are under a good amount of tension and can fly off at high velocity potentially ruining your day in a heartbeat.

If you have anymore questions on anything, please let me know.
Ok, thanks for the info guys. Im lookin to get some super slammers, anybody selling any?
Old 17 May 2012, 10:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Unfortunately, you'll have to wait in line. (Figuratively, not literally haha) They're pretty sought-after springs.. but are definitely worth it once you find them.
WolfmanG likes this.

Old 06 Jun 2012, 08:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

i found a set online for $211+shipping. lemme go see if i can find them again. says it gives you a 2.0" drop in the front, and a 2.2" drop in the rear. those are the ones im goin with. Gonna use KYB struts too ( i can get them cheaper through work than getting toxico's) I guess we'll have to see how it all turns out.