Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Control Arm Bushing Replacement Questions

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2012, 12:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Control Arm Bushing Replacement Questions

I'm looking for advice. I own a 2001 PT Cruiser with 88,000 miles.

I've read quite a bit since the dealership told me that both front lower control arm bushings need replacement, with a quote of $564. Anyway, with my reading I was thinking that the quote included the control arms, ball joints and bushings. Was I ever wrong.

I found the both control arm assemblies online for a little over $150 shipped. So, I went back to the dealership to discuss the quote and make sure I understood what they were replacing only to discover that $564 was just for the bushings ($50 for parts). To have the arms, joints and bushings replaced with their parts it would cost me $750.

I thought it might be nice to have it all replaced at once to save labor costs. Or, Is it going overboard to have it all replaced? I thought that if it all is replaced now I will avoid that hefty labor tag again later lest something else needs replacing with this suspension part.

Also, when talking with the service manager he brought up tie rods. Do tie rods somehow correlate with this type of replacement? He never said they needed replacing, I just thought I would mention that it came up.

On a side note, the shift linkage bushing is missing. They said for that repair they will have to replace the shift cable assembly. Is it possible to save labor costs by having the control arm area and shift cable assembly repairs done at the same time?
Old 17 May 2012, 08:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Control Arm Bushing Replacement Questions

First I asssume you have priced out Moog control arms, go to ROck Auto and they are about 55$ per plus shipping.

I would also buy the outer links for front sway bar and the inner cushions for the sway bar. Maybe another 30$ for the moog parts.

What is the labor at this dealer? I would guess maybe an hour per side to swap out the whole arm, so maybe 3 hours tops? They basically remove the outer links on the sway bar, loosen the inner cushion bolts and swing the bar down. Remover the ball joint stud bolt, remove the horizontal bolt on the LCA to K-fram and the vertical bolt into the frame rail. Then reverse the procedure. Might align it too.

I would call a couple of dealers or ask some friends local where they have independant shop do this. THis is one they cant screw up too easy.

Your steering rack has on the out side tie rod ends, the connect to the knuckle. If in doubt replace them with some good moog unit. about 40$ per and you should replace in pairs if needed.

do not replace the cables, you can replace the bushings with Booger bushings, there are a few vendors who sell them

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...ngs+pt+cruiser
brewmaster likes this.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv

Last edited by VNT; 17 May 2012 at 08:30 am.
Old 17 May 2012, 12:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

[QUOTE=VNT;427621]
Quote:
First I asssume you have priced out Moog control arms, go to ROck Auto and they are about 55$ per plus shipping.
You are correct I found the Moog at Parts Geek. I looked at Rock Auto. Now I am confused. On partsgeek web site the part lists that it includes the ball joint but does not indicate that it includes the needed hardware for complete service replacement. On Rockauto site the description indicates it includes the needed hardware to complete the service, but does not indicate it includes the ball joint. Also, on Rock auto it lists two types of Moog control arms, one of them an R-series. Any help to eliminate my confusion is most appreciated.

Quote:
I would also buy the outer links for front sway bar and the inner cushions for the sway bar. Maybe another 30$ for the moog parts.
I had service to the sway bar last August. Maybe this is same as what you mention--from the service invoice..."Found bolts missing out of sway bar bushing brackets replaced sway bar bushings and installed new bolts into the sway bar bushing brackets." Is that the same as you indicate?

Quote:
What is the labor at this dealer? I would guess maybe an hour per side to swap out the whole arm, so maybe 3 hours tops? They basically remove the outer links on the sway bar, loosen the inner cushion bolts and swing the bar down. Remover the ball joint stud bolt, remove the horizontal bolt on the LCA to K-fram and the vertical bolt into the frame rail. Then reverse the procedure. Might align it too.
Labor is $95 an hour and the computer manual guide for time they showed me indicated 4 hours for both sides. Alignment was included as part of the total quote indicated.

Quote:
I would call a couple of dealers or ask some friends local where they have independant shop do this. THis is one they cant screw up too easy.
Knowing that it can't be screwed up to easy is somewhat comforting as they said there would be no warantee on labor if I purchased the parts elsewhere.

Quote:
Your steering rack has on the out side tie rod ends, the connect to the knuckle. If in doubt replace them with some good moog unit. about 40$ per and you should replace in pairs if needed.
Are the tie rod ends and knuckle interconnected in someway to the control arms? Would there be any symptoms to alert me that they need replacing?

Quote:
do not replace the cables, you can replace the bushings with Booger bushings,
Why do you recommend not replacing the cables?

One thing I forgot to add in my first post lest it matters...My Cruiser has manual transmission. :-)
Again, thank you for your help, time and patience with my ignorance.

Last edited by CruiserLady; 17 May 2012 at 01:23 pm.
Old 17 May 2012, 01:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

'Booger Bushings' are better than originals- Everyone loves them- And are only $20-25.
Replacing the entire cable set would be like buying a new engine because a spark plug's bad.
Old 17 May 2012, 07:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Moog LCA comes with new ball joints(with grease fittings) and both bushings, see attached picture.

Look in this thread, they have nice pictures of the sway bar, cushions and outer links.

Front Stabilizer Bar Bushes and End Links

Sounds like you have the inner cushion and they fixed the bolts.

The outer links on the sway bars are these, a whole 7$ a piece. You would need two. They have to remove them anyway so I would replace them when they do it. shouldnt cost anymore labor wise.

More Information for MOOG K7348

These are the sway bar inner cushions some call them bushings, bar goes thru the center and a clamp holds it to the k-frame with two bolts, sounds like your bolts snapped and they replaced them and the two cushions.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1057028

Here is an outer tie rod end, goes on the end of the rack and pinion steering and the stud goes thru the knuckle.

More Information for MOOG ES3173RL

the 2nd pic shows the suspension with brake adaptor and caliper and rotor removed. The tie rod is to the right of the hub(has the 5studs for the wheel) and tie rod end has the little curved shield. The joint wears and you will get play in the joint. The check this buy puting car on the lift with the wheels unsupported. Place hands at 3 and 9 on the tire and push pull, if any play the outer tie rod is worn and needs replacement. They will also do likewise at 12 and 6. If play probably a wheel bearing.

The bugger bushings, are pressed into the eye ends of the shifter cables, the cables new are big bucks probably 200$ a cable and the dealers cant service the worn bushings because they dont have OEM bushing hence they buy the whole cable but you can buy the after market booger bushings and replace just the bushing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCA.jpg (23.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Knuckle.JPG (32.7 KB, 50 views)
CruiserLady likes this.

00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4

Last edited by VNT; 17 May 2012 at 07:09 pm.
Old 17 May 2012, 08:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

How to rebuild control arms.
CruiserLady likes this.
Old 17 May 2012, 10:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wow, VNT, that a really good job a painting your chassis!
Old 18 May 2012, 07:34 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Wow, VNT, that a really good job a painting your chassis!
Yes

Up here in Maine if you dont the iron worms and the fertilizer they put down in the winter rusts everything, see attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06ptunderside.jpg (30.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 06GTinnerfender.jpg (62.8 KB, 33 views)

00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
Old 18 May 2012, 11:00 am
Cool Cruiser

VNT,

Thank you so much. This is very nicely outlined and documented with the pictures, helping me to better understand all of this and what I need. I really appreciate all of your help.
Old 18 May 2012, 11:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN8060 View Post
Nice! Thanks for that. I probably won't do something like that, but maybe once I have the work completed I can list them on a popular auction site.