PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
disc brake problem

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jun 2012, 12:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15
Default disc brake problem

Hi guys. I replaced front pads and rotors on my 04 cruiser. I looked at the rear shoes and they still have a lot of material on them. The drums are also in good shape. My problem is that after bleeding the brakes my brake pedal feels good and firm but when i start the car the pedal feels soft and mushy. So im thinking i screwed up during the bleeding process. The sequence I used is as follows.rr-lr-rf-lf. my question is this right or wrong? Does it make a difference? Im thinking with new pads and rotors my pedal should be a lot firmer! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jun 2012, 12:54 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,883
Default Re: disc brake problem

Bleeding the brakes not required during a brake job. Do they feel different or worse than before? If this is why you did the brakes to begin with, then you could have a vacuum leak at the brake booster. Where the hose goes on. Or booster or master cylinder might be bad.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jun 2012, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15
Default Re: disc brake problem

hi Busted. The brake fluid was brown so i thought I would change it while I was in the garage. The brake pedal is softer with everything new. The brakes had a very nice firm feel before. Is the bleeding sequence right?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jun 2012, 01:08 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: south of Tampa, Florida
Posts: 3,037
Default Re: disc brake problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerhog View Post
Hi guys. I replaced front pads and rotors on my 04 cruiser. I looked at the rear shoes and they still have a lot of material on them. The drums are also in good shape. My problem is that after bleeding the brakes my brake pedal feels good and firm but when i start the car the pedal feels soft and mushy. So im thinking i screwed up during the bleeding process. The sequence I used is as follows.rr-lr-rf-lf. my question is this right or wrong? Does it make a difference? Im thinking with new pads and rotors my pedal should be a lot firmer! Thanks in advance.

Lr
Rf
Rr
Lf

Jerry
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jun 2012, 01:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15
Default Re: disc brake problem

Hi Jerry. question Does it really make a difference changing the sequence?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jun 2012, 05:39 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,883
Default Re: disc brake problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerhog View Post
Hi Jerry. question Does it really make a difference changing the sequence?
It can depending on the configuring from the manufacture. If Jerry gave that answer then It's pretty much dead on accurate. He is very seldom off on the facts anyway.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jun 2012, 06:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15
Default Re: disc brake problem

Jerry and Busted_pt. Hey guys I want to give you both a big thank you very muchfor helping me with my brake problem!! You went out of your way and I really appreciate it!!Thanks again guys !! Boilerhog
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jun 2012, 06:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,744
Default Re: disc brake problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerhog View Post
Jerry and Busted_pt. Hey guys I want to give you both a big thank you very muchfor helping me with my brake problem!! You went out of your way and I really appreciate it!!Thanks again guys !! Boilerhog

But did it work? Is the pedal hard again after changing the bleeding sequence?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Disc Brake HELP! PLEASE Sarasmiles Tech & Performance Forum 13 18 Dec 2011 04:46 pm
disc brake grind and buildup yourlefthand Tech & Performance Forum 3 24 Nov 2010 01:17 am
Disc Brake Pads and Rotors . Rich Slider Tech & Performance Forum 18 13 Jan 2006 04:27 pm
Disc Brake Upgrading Stephen R. Tech & Performance Forum 9 31 Aug 2002 12:08 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors