PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Recommend me a shock/strut replacement for a commuter PT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2012, 02:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Recommend me a shock/strut replacement for a commuter PT?

I bought it used and I always though the ride was soft and a little like a boat but some creaks and bottoming out over bumps make me feel like I should get new shocks/struts.

So here are a few questions:
1.) How soft are the original PT Cruiser shocks/struts? Just so I know if I really need them or if it's just me being used to smaller cars.
2.)What other parts in the suspension should I check to make the riding better before changing the struts/shocks?

Finally, and more importantly can you recommend me a replacement brand for the PT struts,I'm leaning between the Monroe Econo-Matic and the KYB Strut because, well, money

This is a commuter, every day car so I really don't need lowering or raising or modifications of the kind.

Thanks!
Old 28 Jun 2012, 05:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Recommend me a shock/strut replacement for a commuter PT?

Welcome to the Forums!

You might want to post the mileage for us to help. Although, yes, there are only a handful of selections out there for the PTs. I felt like they kinda rid like boats from stock...but that could make me feel that way because I was pretty dropped.

Here's part #s from RockAuto Parts Catalog
Struts (front)
MONROE Part # 71592
KYB Part # 235626

Shocks (rear)
MONROE Part # 5989
KYB Part # 343385
Old 28 Jun 2012, 03:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I thought my PT rode like a boat too! I just put it down to the PT being a used car.

I have a 2004 PT Cruiser base model with 109k at the moment but when it was bought it had 60K. It's always been a little soft and frankly I don't even know if I really need to change the parts because like you said it's always been a little boat-ish, like a GM from the 80's. I won't lie, I like the price on the KYBs which is about $70 on amazon, but I don't know how good they are. Any thoughts?
Old 28 Jun 2012, 06:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

Mine's a 2006 with about 75k. and it still (to me) rides a bit stiff. If I could, I would probably look into something a bit cushier. I like to drive a little hard sometimes, but most of my driving is to work, and long trips for vacation. If I could soften the suspension a bit, and replace my '06 seat with some earlier model seats, I'd be in PT driving heaven.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 05:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

I bought the Monroe's from Rock, and they work great.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 29 Jun 2012, 08:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

I bought the Monroe struts that come with the spring installed so there was no pressure to relieve in changing. Also went with the Monroe shocks. Got the struts from Advance Auto Parts and the shocks fro Rock Auto.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 09:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I went with the KYB's with Just a Gas shocks. It gives a much less bouncy ride compared to the factory setup. It's very stable at highway speeds and comfortable on NYC streets. Got a great price from Amazon.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 05:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have a set of factory shocks/struts off an '06 PT GT vert, they have 19k miles on them, in excellent condition, thinking about selling them along with the coil springs........