Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Whoomping Noise, left turn only, 2006 GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2012, 08:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Whoomping Noise, left turn only, 2006 GT

2006 GT Turbo, convertible, just turned 60k. Mine for 3 weeks on Wednesday.

Just went through all the posts (in this section) doing a "noise" tag search. A couple were close but not quite what I am hearing.

No noise if steering wheel is neutral or right turn. Just the slightest hint of a left turn, a speed connected whoomping sound - low pitched, dull sound. Faster you are going the faster the whoomps, slow down and the whoomps slow down. The seem to be louder at higher speeds but have not confirmed that to be true. If it is, it not much louder than when doing 30mph. You would have to be deaf not to hear the sound.

Sadly, I am slightly. 50% loss in right ear, 25% left ear, means I have almost no directional hearing. Best i can say is it is coling from the front of the car and sure seems to be a tire or something related to tires, steering, brakes, anything moving at wheel speed.

The sound reminds me of driving over the joints between concrete slabs on the highway (older highways with closer joints - no, not those kind of joints, the ones with the tar like substance in them

Have not noticed a vibration related to the whoomps. Seems to go away when accelerating, very noticeable when coasting. While coasting accelerating will diminish the noise where, depending on speed, it can not be heard.

Nothing unusual at high speeds (70 - 80 mph), too much road noise to hear anything but no vibrations or steering issues. Also, no steering issues at any speed. No other unusual noises.

Plan to towing behind RV to Colorado from St. Louis late August and will not have time to do repairs myself. RV needs attention too.

From my time before joining and since I have joined, have seen some great advice and tips, hoping you can help me too.

Looking for your thoughts on possible causes and other things I might do to help diagnose a noise that is not yet a problem.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my rather lengthy post.

Last edited by rvsailormm1; 09 Jul 2012 at 08:03 pm. Reason: add tags
Old 09 Jul 2012, 08:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Whoomping Noise, left turn only, 2006 GT

Sounds like a wheel bearing.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Jul 2012, 08:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Sounds like a wheel bearing.

That would be my guess.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah either a wheel bearing or Sounds like it could be a tie rod possibly. I think I had a similar problem if the sound is like what I'm thinking and I ended up having a bad tie rod. It made a sort of whomping noise and felt like my tire was moving side to side on the road only when I turned slightly right.
1 12" Alpine Type R, Custom ported enclosure tuned to 32herts, Powered by an Alpine MRX-M110 Mono Amp. Alpine Type R 6 1/2" component speakers in front powered by Rockford Fosgate P400-2 Amp. Rockford Fosgate Punch 5x7 in the back powered by Pioneer Head Unit.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 10:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

When braking from a fair speed hard .... what happens.

I had a slight scrapping noise and only really noticed it when driving the 20MPH through my neighborhood. I had busted both lower control arms rear bushings. I didn't hear it when turning though. If your car shakes bad on hard stops it may be rotors as well as the lower control arms. I replaced the severly warped rotors first but did not do away with that noise till the new MOOG lower control arms where in. By all means check the wheel bearing too, I had my mechanic test drive mine because I first thought it was bearings.

Mine has other noises now that I changed back to stock wheels with fullmoons .... pix coming sooner or later!

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 17 Jul 2012, 07:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crumdug37 and SilverSport - thanks for the replies! Both made me think of what all I have been noticing.

In no particular order:

When braking hard or not so hard, from moderate to high speed - no unusual vibrations, no pulling to either side (hands off too), frequency of whomps slows as wheels slow, difficult but can hear at speeds less than 30 mph, below 20 can't hear it. Can still hear sound when brakes are on hard.

Do not think it is a rotor, know what that feels like. Doing brakes are a family tradition, so feel confident in saying not the rotors.

Get a shimmy (side to side) from front end when going straight on roads with tires ruts (think asphalt with a rut for each tire and a high spot in the middle. On flat concrete, does not happen. Also does not happen with my other cars (91 caravan, 03 s-type Jag) on same road. Does feel kind of like a slipped tire tread and will check for that.

But does not happen when turning, turns are rock solid expect for whomps on left turns. Possible was hearing it on right turns the last couple of days I drove it but was faint at best. NOT faint on left turns.

No scrapping noise at any speed, and below 20, all is quiet.

Thanks for taking the time to pass along your thoughts, I will definitely check out all that you mentioned.

How does one test control arms? I may have two things going on and would hate to have to fix one only to have to go back in again for something else.

Moved the cruiser into my work area last night. Took photos tonight for posting so I can get confirmation of where the jack points are (separate post) - not looking to screw up that part!

Thanks again, will post updates when I know more.
Old 17 Jul 2012, 08:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsailormm1 View Post
Crumdug37 and SilverSport - thanks for the replies! Both made me think of what all I have been noticing.

In no particular order:

When braking hard or not so hard, from moderate to high speed - no unusual vibrations, no pulling to either side (hands off too), frequency of whomps slows as wheels slow, difficult but can hear at speeds less than 30 mph, below 20 can't hear it. Can still hear sound when brakes are on hard.

Do not think it is a rotor, know what that feels like. Doing brakes are a family tradition, so feel confident in saying not the rotors.

Get a shimmy (side to side) from front end when going straight on roads with tires ruts (think asphalt with a rut for each tire and a high spot in the middle. On flat concrete, does not happen. Also does not happen with my other cars (91 caravan, 03 s-type Jag) on same road. Does feel kind of like a slipped tire tread and will check for that.

But does not happen when turning, turns are rock solid expect for whomps on left turns. Possible was hearing it on right turns the last couple of days I drove it but was faint at best. NOT faint on left turns.

No scrapping noise at any speed, and below 20, all is quiet.

Thanks for taking the time to pass along your thoughts, I will definitely check out all that you mentioned.

How does one test control arms? I may have two things going on and would hate to have to fix one only to have to go back in again for something else.

Moved the cruiser into my work area last night. Took photos tonight for posting so I can get confirmation of where the jack points are (separate post) - not looking to screw up that part!

Thanks again, will post updates when I know more.
Put your jack stand under the frame rails can't go wrong there. It's the back boone of the whole pt!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jul 2012, 08:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

With temps at or above 100, plan to go slow. But have the hockey pucks for the jack and maybe jack stands.

Hope to have right hub off this weekend and to machine shop (even if it passes the bad bearing test when you grab the tire at 6 and 12), to replace bearing (I know my limitations).

Can't wait to start,

Last edited by rvsailormm1; 18 Jul 2012 at 08:34 pm. Reason: poor writing
Old 18 Jul 2012, 09:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsailormm1 View Post
With temps at or above 100, plan to go slow. But have the hockey pucks for the jack and maybe jack stands.

Hope to have right hub off this weekend and to machine shop (even if it passes the bad bearing test when you grab the tire at 6 and 12), to replace bearing (I know my limitations).

Can't wait to start,
Do not get under that car with hockey pucks between the jack-stands and the car. Can slip off and crush you. You don't have the support that the saddle on the jack has.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Jul 2012, 04:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry - just noticed you said you were going to check the tire.
(Not to be Captain Obvious, but did you inspect the tire on the side that's making the noise?)

I had an original cheap-ass Goodyear Eagle (apparently they come in different grades) that came with the car that the radial belts had shifted on. Had a bubble on the sidewall, and the outer ring was worn almost to the belts when it started making noise (and shimmying) similar to what you're describing, only when turning that way.

Had the car to two different garages, neither noticed the bad tire.

Last edited by adeptone; 19 Jul 2012 at 04:58 pm. Reason: error

Tags
2006, left turn, noise, turbo gt