PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Jack point Confirmation - front

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2012, 08:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 Jack point Confirmation - front

2006 GT Turbo Convertible - Have owned since 20 Jun 2012. has an issue or two but was a good price - if i do the repairs myself.

Had my mechanic install new rear brakes ( I have worked on brakes since I was a teen, but not ABS...so wimped out).

Based on my own experience and those who replied to my "whomping" noise post, I will be replacing the wheel bearings and maybe more - $95/hr labor is way more than I can afford!

Moved the cruiser into my work area last night. Took photos tonight for posting so I can get confirmation of where the jack points are (separate post) - not looking to screw up that part!

Guys, have never jacked up anything that did not have a massive frame on it. From what i have read here and other places, it is very easy to screw up when jacking it up.

I am attaching 3 pics I took of what I believe to be the area I need to put my floor jack and jack stands. But that little piece of metal that the car jack uses sure looks too flimsy to me to use as a jacking point but if not there, then where? On or near the two bolts? On the flat part of the sheet metal?

Please help me out here. Used to be so simple in the old days.

Thanks a bunch,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RFront03.jpg (91.9 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg RFront04.jpg (91.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg RFront06.jpg (91.4 KB, 106 views)
Old 17 Jul 2012, 09:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Jack point Confirmation - front

Place your jack-stands here between the arrows along the line. In the circle is a good example of using the rocker lift points, note the bent metal, Good place for rust to develop. The frame is the perfect point to support the pt.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Jul 2012, 09:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This is a frequent conversation, based on the odd looking jack points.

Floor Jack Points on PT

Another conversation early on from some of our members but on the olllld forums: PT Cruiser World - Floor jack lift points? (General Discussions)

Personally, I'm thinking about making a Jack Puck for my PT so that I can use my floor jack on it more often. Buy a cheap hockey puck, cut a slot in it, and voila... here's an example:

Old 17 Jul 2012, 10:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Personally, I'm thinking about making a Jack Puck for my PT so that I can use my floor jack on it more often. Buy a cheap hockey puck, cut a slot in it, and voila... here's an example:

I just use a piece of 2x4 with a slot, VW uses the same type of frame pinch weld and it works there too. I have seen something like you have there, must have been on a VW part site since I have been on many more of them.

Those little black discs you have are not easy to find the further south you drive - And I can't go too much further!

To the OP - the spot you have in your pictures has been brutallize by a previous service tech, my car had one like that too, had to bend it back correctly to use my slotted wood.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 18 Jul 2012, 08:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Another good spot is under the A frame. If your not working in that area. As they have alluded to above, there is a lot of effort needed to avoid damage to rocker areas. If using OEM jack, it would be advisable to use the rocker areas. If someone has rust issues already then avoid using these compromised areas for lifting or for stands.!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jul 2012, 08:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Bought 3 hockey pucks today, $2.49 +tax each, thanks for the tip Chromenut!

Amazed that several of y'all even noticed the abuse of the rail. The driver's side has no damage. I intend to repair and paint after I'm done.

PT is not intended to be my winter car but don't want it rusting out either, that's what the Caravan is for . It already leaves little pieces of body parts around town.

Another thought I had (why i bought 3 pucks) is the jack stand. Seems best to spread the load along 2 or 3 inches of the rail (like with the jack) but my jack stands at best (need to check them out) probably will contact less than an inch or so if they are like they I think they are.

How do y'all deal with that or is that rail able to handle a small contact area?

For Busted_PT (and anyone else), by a-frame, you mean the control arm correct? I thought about that but not knowing if I will need to do more than replace the wheel bearings, thought best to avoid areas other than the frame for the jack stands.

Boring, bragging rights part:
In the late 1990s (when I was much younger) replaced the springs, all control arm bushings, tie rods, sway bar bushings and any other suspension part on my 1976 Olds 98 Regency. Talk about a dream ride, was smooth as silk. Sadly, St Louis area snow control measures destroyed it with rust and corrosion from all the salt.

That's why I know, with y'alls help, I can do this!

Thanks a bunch guys,
Old 18 Jul 2012, 09:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My jack stands have this kind of v slot in them, so I use them to support the car by putting that slot under the lift point. I really hate lifting on them like that, but you don't have a lot of choice underneath.

Glad you tried the pucks. I'm actually going to make some custom one's with PT Decals to see how they come out...
Old 18 Jul 2012, 09:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Guys you have a frame rail on both sides of the car. The square tube that I drew the line under between the two arrows. Look past the rocker panel. I usually jack it up at the control arm and put the jack under the frame rail. The strongest part of the whole PT.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jul 2012, 09:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Guys you have a frame rail on both sides of the car. The square tube that I drew the line under between the two arrows. Look past the rocker panel. I usually jack it up at the control arm and put the jack under the frame rail. The strongest part of the whole PT.
Come on, show us... you know you want to... come on... give us some pics, I want to see it baby....LMAO....
Old 18 Jul 2012, 10:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'v already drawn you a picture.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
jack, jack points