E-brake gone

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pluminator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2012, 11:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy E-brake gone

Hi it's me again,
Okay, it's not really gone, but it is not functional, as if I had no e-brake at all.

Upon attempting to use the parking brake for the first time after returning from the body shop yesterday for this Rocker panel rust I had nothing.

I pulled up the lever only to find there was no resistance. It wasn't perfect prior to taking it to the shop, but at least I had resistance and brake when pulled up completely.

Could they have bumped something when working on the rocker panels to cause them to malfunction?

...a round of for everyone. Thanks for stopping by.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 11:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: E-brake gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserLady View Post
Hi it's me again,
Okay, it's not really gone, but it is not functional, as if I had no e-brake at all.

Upon attempting to use the parking brake for the first time after returning from the body shop yesterday for this Rocker panel rust I had nothing.

I pulled up the lever only to find there was no resistance. It wasn't perfect prior to taking it to the shop, but at least I had resistance and brake when pulled up completely.

Could they have bumped something when working on the rocker panels to cause them to malfunction?

...a round of for everyone. Thanks for stopping by.

Well this is how an ebrake works :-)

You have the handle, which is connected to a steel cable, that runs through the floor of the car, to the undercarriage, it then travels backwards to a Y axis point where it splits into 2 cables right before the rear axle.

Those two cables stretch out to the brake drum area on each side of the car, they enter the drums and are connected to a small arm, that is connected to one of or both brake pads in each of the drums.

When the handle is pulled, it yanks this wire, pulling on both arms and pulling the rear brake pads outwards, contacting the drums thus applying the emergency brakes :-)

If you pull the handle and there is NO resistance at all, it means that odds are while repairing the rocker panels they had to disconnect the Main e-brake line *because its attached to the undercarriage through a series of little welded tubes that are stuck to the frame* and simply forgot to re-connect it.

Or they accidentally cut this cable.

Take it on back to them and they should fix it for free within 5 minutes or so :-)

Unless your very handy.

Crawl under the car and look at the rear brake drums/ calipers. And look for the steel wire coming out of both *looks like a twisted chrome or rusted wire, not a tube, thats the brake line ;-), trace it all the way up the rocker pannel areas towards the front of the car. If you feel slack you know its not connected. Once you get 1-2 feet from the front wheels there should be a connector on one end and a stud on the other.

The connector looks like a small tube with a cut in it on one side, and the other side of the cable should look like this --------------o Place the studded side into the connector, then clamp it down with a good strong pair of vice grips :-)

and you have re-connected it :-)

hope this helps
UptownSport likes this.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 12:16 am
Cool Cruiser

pluminator, Thanks for your reply.

I am not very handy so the car will go back to the body shop.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 12:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserLady View Post
pluminator, Thanks for your reply.

I am not very handy so the car will go back to the body shop.
Well at least you know it will be a very easy fix, i accidentally chopped mine once while replacing a rear axle, took the better part of 4 minutes to route a new one :-)
Old 19 Jul 2012, 01:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

I guess I should recant my statement some.

It's not that I'm not handy. It's just that it's new to me. Given directions and diagrams I believe that I can tackle quite a bit. It's just that I don't have the tools at my ready disposal.

Plus, I feeling somewhat overwhelmed with everything going on with the car at the moment.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 05:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yep, there's a 'Y', I believe it's just behind the handle, proper-
only a very short single lead