• 1 Post By rvsailormm1
  • 1 Post By rvsailormm1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2012, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Knuckle/Hub Reinstall - Need Help

What it is - 2006; Turbo; Convertible

What I have done:
Had noise (search for Whoomping in WTS), all thoughts and my own experience said right front wheel bearing.

Replaced right front wheel bearing and the half-shaft. No issues except cut the half-shaft cv boot when removing knuckle/hub. Get new boot now from dealer = $90, new half-shaft now from oreilly = $66.

Ooops, wrong side. Bearing makes noise when in "no load" LEFT TURNS!!

Removed left knuckle and hub, bearing absolutely bad.

The right side went together soooo nice. What could go wrong on the left side I thought.

Spent hours Monday and Tuesday after work trying to reinstall. Looks like the strut has extended like the right side strut did but the left side control arm is higher than the right side was.

Whatever has happened, I cannot get the axle into the hub and the knuckle onto the ball joint pin and the knuckle into the strut bracket at the same time. I can do two of the three.

Guys, I am desperate. Anyone have any tips on how to get the knuckle and hub back on again?

I have tried jacks on the strut, no good, strut just moves away, does not compress upward.

Have tried spring compressors, but not enough room to compress more than one coil. Or do I need to remove ??? out of the way the get the spring compressors attached?

What am I missing? Right side was easy as Sunday morning. Left side is killing me!

I can do this, all I need is that one piece of the puzzle I'm missing. My next attempt is Saturday, if I fail, then it is a tow job.

How will I be able to face the wife and kids I thought. Then I remembered, I don't have a wife and kids. But maybe I can get a wife and kids if I can win this battle between the cruiser and me.

Besides, you have to help me. I never would have tried this if I had not seen Poncho's video on wheel bearings. His strut never moved!

Thanks for reading, any helpful thoughts will be truly appreciated.
Old 09 Aug 2012, 05:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Knuckle/Hub Reinstall - Need Help

What about removing the three bolts that hold the top of the strut in place and putting the rest together then bolt the top back in...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 09 Aug 2012, 06:10 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Make sure you are picking up both sides of your car evenly, if one side is on the ground the sway bar will bring the other side up, making it impossible to put the knuckle back on.
Old 09 Aug 2012, 06:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

This
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Make sure you are picking up both sides of your car evenly, if one side is on the ground the sway bar will bring the other side up, making it impossible to put the knuckle back on.
I always drop the 2 sway bar bolts and it will go right in fairly easy
Old 10 Aug 2012, 06:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:

YES! Was right in front of my eyes and i did not see it. For the right side, because I had to replace the half-shaft, I jacked the left side to be able to get under the car.

rcktpwrd - Interesting thought but how to compress it back together might be an issue.

xwinng777 - If just leveling the car doesn't get me there, the sway bar will be next.

Thank you all for your replies, you have all made this a much better day for me.
XtrmDC2 likes this.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 08:01 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Also you can use a long pry bar to push the control arm down instead of disconnecting the sway bar links.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:

That did it! THANK YOU!

I am indebted to you and everyone else who made suggestions throughout this project, good or off-target. The suggestion winners are special, that's for sure. But a response, even if not on target, lends support and encourages, as we struggle to do-it-ourselves.

I'm in St. Louis (the one in Missouri) and have plans to vacation in the Fort Collins area in Colorado the end of August, with my now fully functional PT-Toad!

Any of you kind folks close by, give me a shout, would love to shake your hand,buy you a drink of your choice, and a donut or a steak.
XtrmDC2 likes this.

Tags
2006, bearing, install knuckle, steering knuckle