Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help with Tire & Loading information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2012, 08:16 pm
Banned

Default Need help with Tire & Loading information

I am trying to gather some information and I need the help of other owners. I would like to request from PT Cruiser owners that they post, or email me, a picture of the Tire And Loading Information label from their vehicle (mine is included with this post). This label is usually located on the driver's side pillar. I would like to get a picture from all the model years of the PT's (2001-2010) and for models that had 15" tires as the original as listed on the label. The information I am trying to gather pertains to the cold tire inflation pressure as recommended by Chrysler, on the label. My vehicle is an '06 Touring Edition with 78,000 miles, has experienced tire wear issues and is on its third set of tires. The factory original tires (Goodyear Eagle LS) failed due to tread separation. The second set of tires (Goodyear Assurance Tripletred rated for 80,000 miles) failed after 28,685 miles due to excessive wear in the center of the tread. Excessive center tread wear is indicative of overinflation. I no longer use the 35psi as recommended by Chrysler, but use 33psi. The current tires are Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring rated for 80,000 miles. My Goodyear dealer is closely monitoring the wear and with almost 19,000 miles on these tires, they show no sign of abnormal wear. I have reason to believe that Chrysler has recommended different tire pressure ratings on the 15" tires, for the different model years of the PT. If you are kind enough to provide a picture, you can obscure the 8 digits of the vehicle VIN that should appear on the lower right of the label, like I have in my picture. I am not trying to gather any personal information and I don't need the VIN. But if you do post or email me the information, please include the year and model (Base, Touring, Limited, etc.) of your vehicle. Thanks for any assistance.

Update 08/20/12:

Information I received from my Goodyear dealer:

Their national service database, that gets the information updated each year from each vehicle manufacturer, says that Chrysler recommends the following tire inflation pressures:

'01 - '03 = 34 psi for all tire sizes
'04 = 34 psi (15" & 16") 38 psi (17")
'05 - '06 = 35 psi (15" & 16") 38 psi (17")
'07 = 32 psi (15") 35 psi (16") 38 psi (17")
'08 - '09 = 32 psi (15") 35 psi (16" & 17")
'10 = 35 psi for all tire sizes

When I asked Chrysler Customer Assistance about the recommended tire pressure, the reply I received from them was:

"...The information the customer is seeking is unavailable; therefore we are unable to assist this customer with their requests. NOTE: PT Cruiser proper cold tire inflation pressures should be listed on the Tire and Loading Information Placard, which is located on either the face of the driver's door or the driver's side B pillar."

Update 08/22/12:

I was able to go to a couple of local salvage yards and was able to get some pictures of the labels off their vehicles.

This is from a 2001

This is from a 2002

Last edited by rckstein; 22 Aug 2012 at 05:06 pm.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 09:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help with Tire & Loading information

I've got an '06 GT Vert, on my third set of tires at 67k, but that's because of the amount of time I've spent on the drag strips and road courses. Add to that, I live just outside of the Smoky Mountains and spend a LOT of time running up and down the mountain roads enjoying sliding around all of those dangerous curves.

My original tires, the Badyears, made it to 24k miles, then my Falken Ziex-912's lasted about 29k miles, now I've had Pirelli P6's on her for the last 20k miles or so and they look barely worn at all. They were a lot more expensive, but they ride better and corner better than any I've had so far, add to that they are the best I've had in foul weather too.

Now, when I had my first alignment done, I added in both front and rear shims that allowed me to have the Caster/Camber angles adjusted so that the top of the tires were pulled in just a bit (just over 1%) to aid in cornering. Now at the time I thought that was part of the reason for the tires wearing, but it appears that's not the issue at all, those previous tires just couldn't take all the burnouts, slides, skids, and other insane things I do.

Add to this, I do run them at the suggested tire pressure except for when I went beach combing in Florida where I ran about 12 pounds of pressure in them. Most of the time my vehicle is heavily loaded, as in the gear I carry in the trunk fills it full, and if I go rock hounding, I usually am carrying close to a half ton of stone back with me.

So add all that together and to me it appears that getting all four tires aligned properly and getting a good set of tires and getting good shocks (my PT is lowered on H&R springs and running Tokico Blue's for struts and shocks), then my tires seem to last much longer.

Oh, forgot to mention, when I went to new tires, I also got bigger wheels. Had the factory 17 spoke chromeys 17 x 6", and bought 17x7" 5 spoke wheels so I could run wider tires, so running 225/45x17's.

Here's what she looked like with the Falkens:

And this is her now on the Pirelli P6's:
Old 13 Aug 2012, 09:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oops, forgot the label. I'll have to find the one with the tire info. This is the manufacturer's tag:
Old 13 Aug 2012, 09:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Need help with Tire & Loading information

No tire/wheel size or inflation in that pic. I think that's what he wanted.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 09:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
No tire/wheel size or inflation in that pic. I think that's what he wanted.
That's why my comment says "I'll have to find the sticker with the tire info on it"...lmao
Old 13 Aug 2012, 10:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Need help with Tire & Loading information

"I see," said the blind man.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 09:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

talking to his deaf wife