Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wheel squeaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Aug 2012, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Wheel squeaking

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser (140K Mi non-turbo). In the last 12 months I have changed the struts, sway bar bushings, front rotors and brakes, enigne belts (not timing was done already), front wheel bearing pasenger side, and both CV axels (sort of in the order listed). I have an annoying squeaking/squeaking noise that is consistant with the rotation of the wheels. I can hear the noise all the way up to around 40mph. And the noise seems to stop when I step on the brakes. The vehicle was inspected and did not need brakes (front or back). The noise started a couple months after the rotors and brakes were replaced. I've read the forums here but can't seem to find anything similar to what I am experiencing. Any body have an idea of what the noise might be and how to fix it? Thanks!
Old 20 Aug 2012, 02:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Wheel squeaking

It's worth pulling that passenger side wheel and taking a look at the brake pads yourself. There's usually a thin metal tab on each pad that is designed to contact the turning rotor before the brakes are completely worn. It's like an early warning. I know you said the brake parts have recently been replaced but you may have a sticking brake cylinder that is causing uneven wear. I see you also said "the vehicle was inspected" but did you get a chance to see with your own eyes that the pads were wearing evenly? It's only a 15 minute job to R&R the wheel and give the rotors and hubs a few spins and re-inspect the pads yourself.

There may be some other weird thing that you can't spot with this type of look/see but for a few minutes of time and no cost, that's where I would start.
Old 20 Aug 2012, 02:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Wheel squeaking

Thanks for the reply. Last week I personally replaced the CV Axels. While I had everything apart I checked the caliper pistons and the brake pads. Everything seems normal. Sorry I didn't mention all that in my original post.

Since I didn't change the pads myself originally I was wondering if it was possible that the pad with the sensor may have been put on the wrong side of the rotor? Right now the sensor pad in on the inside or backside of the rotor.