PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
any suspension change?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2012, 09:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default any suspension change?

Tried searching countless times already but nothing came up...
Basically, i need to know if the PT Cruiser suspension has changed over the years..
I found a awesome deal on a lowering kit but it's off of a 02.. I was thinking of getting them for my 06 but just have that fitment question stuck in my mind preventing me from doing it.

Also, do you think id get over it quick? i've had lowered cars before so i know the whole slow/sideways into driveway deals lol.. Does it make a big difference on the PT?
Old 24 Aug 2012, 09:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: any suspension change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPT06 View Post
Tried searching countless times already but nothing came up...
Basically, i need to know if the PT Cruiser suspension has changed over the years..
I found a awesome deal on a lowering kit but it's off of a 02.. I was thinking of getting them for my 06 but just have that fitment question stuck in my mind preventing me from doing it.

Also, do you think id get over it quick? i've had lowered cars before so i know the whole slow/sideways into driveway deals lol.. Does it make a big difference on the PT?
No change far as that goes. The Pt is prone to dragging the nose especially on the turbo's.
XtrmDC2 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Aug 2012, 11:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mine, yes, I have to "crab" into some driveways, and starting to PO me about hitting curves hard and the drivers rear tire rubbing the inner well. That's because I cut the rubber stop too short. When you lower it, you have to shave down your bounce stops so that you're not banging on them all the time. The rears, just make sure you cut them half the length of the full drop. The plastic wheel well liner is getting a hole rubbed in it.

Here you can see I'm 4" off the ground:

And being a big boy, when I turn hard to the right, you can see me sitting down on my left rear tire, that's when it rubs the inside of the fender well:

On this, I used H&R performance springs, from Germany, powder coated to match the car, and Tokico Blues shocks/struts. I actually blew out my rear anti-sway bar, it was a cheaper version and just too small/thin, bent the crap out of it, so need a new/better one now.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 01:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys for the responses/pics. Much appreciated!
Well, i literally just got back from getting them..
BTG Lowering springs... $40
Gotta love craigslist
Old 25 Aug 2012, 03:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: any suspension change?

Hey their Socal,

Just like mentioned above, suspension should be unchanged.

And depending on the drop, it shouldn't be too bad. Way back when I built a couple of my own custom drop spring kits which gave a full 3" x 5" drop to just above the tires. Other than the usual bumpety bump, and having to walk over speed bumps, and drive ways, its the same ol same if you have had dropped rides before. Expect the front to drag, and say goodbye to that bottom lip under the front lower valance and that should about cover it. I used to tag my muffler once in a great while, but you most likely will never sit low enough to come that close unless you have this crazy insane obsession like I do with maximum drop.

To give you an idea of what I mean by obsessed with drop, here is mine now.

If your ever out my direction, I have a shop over in Hemet where I do custom work from paint and beyond. Feel free to PM me anytime.
808 and SocalPT06 like this.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 25 Aug 2012, 11:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
My God that pic is Heavenly.
XtrmDC2 likes this.
Old 26 Aug 2012, 07:23 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: any suspension change?

Hey their Guys,

I thank you big time. Sitting at the great 2012 PT River Run! Love this shot too. Can't wait till I can get the time to put my roll pan on, extend the rockers by 1" and rework the front end a bit so when she lays out, it looks like she is flat on the body with little to no gap.

Really wish I could go lower but she is sitting on the pinch welds straight up now to the point where I can literally squish ketchup packets when aired out, and on smooth surfaces you can actually spin the back wheels by hand so she probably ain't going much more down I recon.

Again, I thank you big time. You Guys are way cool.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 01 Sep 2012, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

springs are installed!

I should be getting some new pics of it soon
Old 13 Sep 2012, 05:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Mine, yes, I have to "crab" into some driveways, and starting to PO me about hitting curves hard and the drivers rear tire rubbing the inner well. That's because I cut the rubber stop too short. When you lower it, you have to shave down your bounce stops so that you're not banging on them all the time. The rears, just make sure you cut them half the length of the full drop. The plastic wheel well liner is getting a hole rubbed in it.

Here you can see I'm 4" off the ground:

And being a big boy, when I turn hard to the right, you can see me sitting down on my left rear tire, that's when it rubs the inside of the fender well:

On this, I used H&R performance springs, from Germany, powder coated to match the car, and Tokico Blues shocks/struts. I actually blew out my rear anti-sway bar, it was a cheaper version and just too small/thin, bent the crap out of it, so need a new/better one now.
What size was the rear bar that broke? I'm new here and to these cars but I've never heard of breaking a rear sway bar?
Old 13 Sep 2012, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It is not about what size but what brand or manufacture it was.I can tell you it was none of the popular ones! It is virtually unheard of to bend a sway bar on a street car or for that matter a race/track car if it was properly installed. The material on Chromenuts sway bar must have been scary inferior or heat treated to have bent? The ends links will usually brake long before you would bend a sway bar in normal circumstances.

Oh wait he did say "being a big boy" LOL I take that back you can bend a "big boy" bar.....

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 13 Sep 2012 at 05:28 pm.