Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Alignment done...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2012, 09:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Red face Alignment done...

Well, I got my alignment done and new tires installed.

I went with a set of Hankook Optimo 4S "four season" tires. 205/60R16... Just a bit oversize.

The difference between before and after is amazing. Steering is much lighter and dead straight. Noise is down a bit. Don't see much of a difference in the fuel economy on the display - but tire is a few percent bigger, so I guess that's good.

There wasn't much of a difference. Does toe really make that much of a difference?

I'm also not that happy with the difference in camber from left to right.

Finally... I replaced the drivers side rear control arm bushing a few days ago. The mechanic says that both bushings are torn. How could this be? They want $240 to replace them on both sides (reasonable I guess, if they are torn). They also want $575 to fix "lower control arm contacting K-frame"...what's that about?

Here is my alignment printout:

Last edited by Calab; 30 Aug 2012 at 09:05 am.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 10:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Alignment done...

This should have been done before alignment. The reason for the contact is the bad bushings. They cost about $30 for the rear bushings. Markup and labor is the rest DIY TIME!

At least check other shops. Don't tell what you were told by shops. Better way to judge honesty!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Aug 2012, 11:10 am
Senior Cruiser

That difference is quite common and really nothing to worry about but it can be corrected.
The rear is fairly expensive to have properly aligned. Lots of labor involved in the process. They have to removed the entire stub axle and place shims between them and the axle beam and repeat several time to get it correct.

Like Busted said, the bushings should have all been done before the alignment, because it will need to be redone once the new parts are installed.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 31 Aug 2012, 05:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

You can get complete control arms with all BRAND NEW bushings AND balljoints like I did from Rockauto for around $68 each . After all you'll have to pull the old ones to do just the bushings so why not replace them & have all brand new stuff ???
Old 31 Aug 2012, 05:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972cudaguy View Post
You can get complete control arms with all BRAND NEW bushings AND balljoints like I did from Rockauto for around $68 each . After all you'll have to pull the old ones to do just the bushings so why not replace them & have all brand new stuff ???
Because I'm in Canada and shipping costs more than the parts!!!

IF the bushing is torn AGAIN, I'm just going to spend a few dollars and get some urethane bushings. The passenger side are looks to be a pain to get off though.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 06:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calab View Post
Because I'm in Canada and shipping costs more than the parts!!!

IF the bushing is torn AGAIN, I'm just going to spend a few dollars and get some urethane bushings. The passenger side are looks to be a pain to get off though.
Ahhh ok ! Didn't bother to look where you are located . My fiance is working in Toronto currently I go there frequently & I'll agree almost EVERYTHING about Canada is a pain in the ass !!! You have my sympathy sir
Old 31 Aug 2012, 07:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

The passenger side is a little more challenging because you have to also remove the lower torque strut and the splash shield. Both are not too difficult to deal with, just extra work...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com

Tags
alignment, tires