Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brakes go "womp womp womp" when applied

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2012, 04:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Brakes go "womp womp womp" when applied

I'm having a little issue with the driver side front brake. I only notice this at low speeds, but maybe because of the noise at higher speeds.

When I use the breaks, I hear a "womp, womp,womp" coming from the wheels. I can feel the "womps" but the car doesn't shake or shudder or shimmies. Does that make sense? I was told it might be the rotors, and when I took the wheel off, I can feel that the brakes are "streaked" that is I can feel little grooves on the rotor, but I don't know if this are normal and/or deep enough to be causing the problem.

What do you guys think?

This PT sees a lot of stop and go traffic, and there is a very steep hill that I have to drive down every day.
Old 08 Sep 2012, 07:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Brakes go "womp womp womp" when applied

Sounds like you overheated the rotors and one of them is warped. Streaks aren't good either.

Is this the first set of pads and rotors that came with the car? The originals are really cheap and warp easily. Sounds like it's time for a brake overhaul.
Old 08 Sep 2012, 07:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with CREWZIN and also check to see that the back brakes are still good and adjusted properly. If backs are to loose will cause the front to over heat and warp.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Sep 2012, 03:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I bought the car used and I'll have to guess that the car was still using the originals. I had the brakes done at that time. I believe the mechanic only changed pads and turned the rotors. When I looked at the brakes this time around, the rotors look OEM and not aftermaket.

This isn't the first time I had problems with the brakes. I had some screeching on the **back** brakes a few days **after** that job, so they had to be turned again. But like I said this were the back brakes.
Now with the pads about halfway down, the problem rotor has little ridges while the other side is a lot smoother.

Can you guys recommend some rotor brands and pads? Should I get ceramic brakes? How do you check the rear brakes?
This car is used in a lot of stop and go traffic, riding the brakes basically, so I want'to avoid future warping. I also have to get down the hill every morning so I need good stopping power, less I end up in my neighbor's living room.

Sorry for the long winded answer, I just wanted to provide all the info.
Old 08 Sep 2012, 03:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

mahna mahna!
Old 09 Sep 2012, 10:17 am
Senior Cruiser

I use duralast rotors and Duralast Gold Ceramic pads and i've always had great results.

The scoring on your rotors is a good sign that they are not up to par :-)
Old 11 Sep 2012, 09:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Tire Rack -
Brembo rotors and wide choice of pads.
Ceramic pads last longer, and NO BLACK DUST.
I would never have rotors turned - they aren't that thick to begin with, and turning makes them thinner and more prone to warp - replace...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Sep 2012, 01:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the brake system is working properly there is no problem turning rotor. As long as in tolerance. Misadjusted rear brakes is usually the cause of warped front rotors.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Sep 2012, 01:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
If the brake system is working properly there is no problem turning rotor. As long as in tolerance. Misadjusted rear brakes is usually the cause of warped front rotors.
Agreed.

Good way to tell if your rear drums are not adjusted properly. Try to pull one off. if you cant do it after a couple whacks with a hammer.......and you need 2 prybars and an hour of your life that you wont get back to remove a rotor......then they were not adjusted correctly :-p
Old 11 Sep 2012, 02:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

You could try rotating your tires front to back to see if you have a tire problem instead of a brake problem. Most "warped rotors" are actually glazed rotors. They're still probably best to change them, though. I heard that the stock rotors are somewhat thin and can't be resurfaced more than once. It wouldn't hurt to give the whole front suspension a brief inspection because there are a few other things that can "womp womp" up front.