Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front left wheel feels like its wobbling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2012, 03:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front left wheel feels like its wobbling

i have a '02 pt with 176,000 miles. i have a good amount of play in my steering wheel so when im driving on a straight road and my steering wheel is held between 10 and 12 O'clock my front left tire feels likes its wobbling it goes away if i straighten out the wheel or turn it past 12 O'clock. i have a trip from orlando to tallahassee this weekend so i know i need to fix this please help you guys are always great.
Old 12 Sep 2012, 04:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front left wheel feels like its wobbling

We could take a few guesses as to what it might be but why not take it to a tire/wheel place that can put it on a rack and find the exact cause. They will do it for free trying to get your business but your not obligated to have them do any work. Saying that, if they find a life-threatening part that's broken or needs immediate attention, your better off having it fixed right away.
Old 12 Sep 2012, 10:44 am
Veteran Cruiser

did you jack the car up and try to wiggle the wheel?

if it wiggles up and down it's a balljoint
if it wiggles side to side, it's a tie rod
if it wiggles both ways, it's a bearing(or loose lugnuts).
if it does not wiggle, carefully inspect the inner and outer sidewall of the tire, as well as the tread area while spinning it by hand. it may have a bubble in it or a dent in the rim.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 01:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
We could take a few guesses as to what it might be but why not take it to a tire/wheel place that can put it on a rack and find the exact cause. They will do it for free trying to get your business but your not obligated to have them do any work. Saying that, if they find a life-threatening part that's broken or needs immediate attention, your better off having it fixed right away.
Here's a general car question/ comment. Any time I've done something like this, having a shop look at something to diagnose a problem...

They ALWAYS say it's a life threatening part that needs to be replaced that second!! "How did you even make it in here?"
Old 16 Oct 2012, 02:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikestobike View Post
Here's a general car question/ comment. Any time I've done something like this, having a shop look at something to diagnose a problem...

They ALWAYS say it's a life threatening part that needs to be replaced that second!! "How did you even make it in here?"
They are giving you a FREE diagnostic and you don't have to buy anything. They make their money that way selling you parts you may or may not need. Take a good look at the part they say is "life threatening" and make up your own mind if you need it immediately. Obviously, if there's a rod or joint that's hanging there ready to fall off, you would want to have something done. If it's something banging or knocking and they say it will "lead" to a catastrophic failure, you probably have time to get a second opinion.

If you know nothing about the workings of a car, see if you get someone to go with you that does.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 02:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
They are giving you a FREE diagnostic and you don't have to buy anything. They make their money that way selling you parts you may or may not need. Take a good look at the part they say is "life threatening" and make up your own mind if you need it immediately. Obviously, if there's a rod or joint that's hanging there ready to fall off, you would want to have something done. If it's something banging or knocking and they say it will "lead" to a catastrophic failure, you probably have time to get a second opinion.

If you know nothing about the workings of a car, see if you get someone to go with you that does.
I wish I had one of those - a someone that knows about cars and could go with me... lol!

I've learned a lot and taught myself some things through experience and need over the years, but there is just so much to know. When my timing belt went out in June, an acquaintance tried to help me diagnose over the phone (not a professional mechanic, but has helped lots of friends over the years) I ended up needlessly replacing the fuel pump... He even came and tested some things, and didn't think it was timing... then I took it to a shop and spent $50 to get it correctly diagnosed...

Thanks

Tags
steering, tire, wheel, wobble