Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 pt cruiser front end problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2012, 04:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 pt cruiser front end problem

I have a 03 pt cruiser 5 speed non turbo. Sounds like it is coming from passenger side, at low speeds and turning left only it makes a groaning, grinding type sound. Almost sounds like a brake rotor at times. I was told it was a wheel bearing by a few mechanics. When i took it apart the hub seemed loose as well. I replaced the wheel bearing and hub and it seemed a little better in a straight line, but when turning left it is very loud. I put the car on jack stands and put it in first and the motor is jumping all around. It is not making the noise when in gear on stands, but It looks like the motor mounts are shot. Would motor mounts cause these problems I am having. Axles look good, nothing is rubbing the rotor.

Thanks
Old 16 Oct 2012, 05:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 pt cruiser front end problem

Motor mounts will surely make the engine jump around and plenty of wonders have had to replace them.

As far as the ground noise, did you check the other side? Sounds can be funny can can travel to make you think it's one side, when it's actually the other side, besides, it's best to replace the bearings on both sides since the possibility that the other one will go pretty soon.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Motor mounts will surely make the engine jump around and plenty of wonders have had to replace them.

As far as the ground noise, did you check the other side? Sounds can be funny can can travel to make you think it's one side, when it's actually the other side, besides, it's best to replace the bearings on both sides since the possibility that the other one will go pretty soon.
The motor is jumping around but could that make a sound like this.

I have had bad motor mounts before and never had one sound like this. Its like a clunking type noise along with what sounds like a grinding noise from rotor. It is worse at low rpms like when i take off and goes away at higher speed except when i turn left, it doesnt do it at all when i turn right. I had a lot of play in my hub but everything was replaced. The drivers side doesn't have any. I planned on replacing both bearings. This is my only vehicle and I just was going to fix the one side until I had time to do the other.

Thanks for the response
Old 16 Oct 2012, 06:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No, the way you said it, you also had the engine jumping around BESIDES the noise so I was pointing out an answer to the jumping around. The motor mounts won't make a sound like that except if they are completely broken and allowing the engine to rub against something that would cause the noise. We have seen the internal rubber part of the mount completely worn away, so maybe that is both your problems.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 06:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
No, the way you said it, you also had the engine jumping around BESIDES the noise so I was pointing out an answer to the jumping around. The motor mounts won't make a sound like that except if they are completely broken and allowing the engine to rub against something that would cause the noise. We have seen the internal rubber part of the mount completely worn away, so maybe that is both your problems.
ok i will check them out. I did look at the lower torque mount on passenger side and the rubber part looked good. I did check side to side on the wheel and it does have some play in.

Thanks for the help.