• 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2012, 10:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Wheel weight - OEM & Aftermarket

Hi All,

Well... I'm getting close to the next mod!!!

Tires/wheels... so, I've been looking around and have found something I like (and its in the price range!) alot. However, when I went to talk to the sales guy he indicated that the wheel was very heavy at 28 lbs (for 17x7) and why would I want to do that increasing rotating weight, sluggishness in suspension and steering, etc. etc. I'm currently 16"

So, I'm curious does anyone know what does a 17" OEM alloy wheel weigh? OEM steel?

What are some weights of the aftermarket wheels that you have put on your PT? Did it adversly effect handling or accleration???

The sales guy was pointing me toward wheels that 22-24 lbs range in a similar price range... thoughts?? comments???

As always, many thanks for your inputs and comments!

BDG
Old 23 Oct 2012, 11:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wheel weight - OEM & Aftermarket

Are you planning on entering any competitive events with your PT?
My guess no. Then if it were me I would be getting the wheels I wanted.
If you are still concerned wait for a few silly responses talking about wheels and the upsprung weight and bla bla bla and forgetting we are talking about a PT.

Be happy get what you want!

I willy be waiting to support you with whatever comes your way, against it that is!
Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 23 Oct 2012 at 11:12 pm.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 11:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

I think I recall the stock 17" (GT) wheel being about 25 1/2 pounds. I haven't heard of too many aftermarket wheels being as much as 28 so I wouldn't be surprised if the "sales guy's" estimate was a tad high. In any case you're not talking about a quantum leap. Weight is just one factor and it shouldn't be a deal breaker with a style you really like. But if a wheel (and tire combo) that you liked just happened to be lighter than your old set, I would consider that a bonus but not the main point.

I've had an experience in the past with "light weights" that bent way too easy. I had a set that I had to have 3 out of 4 wheels straightened within less than a year and a half. I have to admit though, I do look at weight when I shop.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 12:49 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Uh Oh...that aforementioned guy is ..me! I have 17 by 7's on my Tercel it came with 13's.

They are aluminum and I use tires that have rim protectors built in. I have 460 inch pound springs and limited suspension travel in the rear, needs glass smooth roads to work well. It rides like a dump truck!

But it works for what I want. My point being...I am constantly on the lookout for pot holes but every now and then I'll round a corner straighten out the wheel and BAMM! an unseen pot hole! I hit one so hard that I knew, it had flattened the tire and busted the rim but..to my surprise, no damage to either rim or tire!

And yes you really don't want alot of unsprung weight out there that springs and shocks will have to control, and turn and the engine will have to decelerate, accelerate.

So I myself would not go with a steel rim, it's certainly gonna weigh more than an aluminum rim but I think tires with rim protectors is critical on any low profile tire, regardless of what the rim is made of!

And yes, it's a PT not a Corvette..doesn't mean it has to be fat slow and awkward!

Last edited by Chip18sw; 24 Oct 2012 at 12:52 am.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't know what a gt wheel weights but it did shock me when I picked one up. It's heavy. NitroPT is right you aren't going to notice without a stop watch. What you will feel is the difference in ride with the lower profile tires. It will feel a little harder. Get what you like . You will be happier.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Oct 2012, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Oct 2012 at 08:59 am.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 01:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

17" Wheel weights - Mechanical Database

Problem is, even if you get the nifty super-bamboo 17" wheel that's lighter than a 15", the 15 will still be superior because the weight is carried closer to hub; o vs O

And it does make a tangible difference in drags- Guys would go from stock wheels to 17" or 16" and lose significant time- again and again

But yeas, if you like the wheels, buy them
Old 24 Oct 2012, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^^^^^
UptownSport Nice find! Pretty complete list.

Yes when are talking about with regards to competition or chassis that are modified for the purpose of handling improvements reducing the upsprung weight is an important factor.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Oct 2012, 05:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So as you can see for your use get what looks good. The heavy hitters have spoken.
NitroPT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Oct 2012, 09:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
^^^^^^^
UptownSport Nice find! Pretty complete list.

Yes when are talking about with regards to competition or chassis that are modified for the purpose of handling improvements reducing the upsprung weight is an important factor.
Hey cool I don't have to add my two cents into any style thing discussion!

Speaking specifically about the above points. An additional point to the large rim low profile tire theme, is quicker transit response. The shorter the sidewall, the quicker the tire reacts to steering input. Your getting rubber out of the suspension.

Downside is a rougher ride, you don't have the "extra sidewall" to soak up impact!

When I put the 17's and 205 40's on my Tercel (among other stuff) it completely transformed it! It changes lanes like a Jack Rabbit hopped up on speed!

PT has alot more size and weight but the princples are still the same.