PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Just finished.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2012, 01:47 am
Young Cruiser

Default Just finished.

Finished taking a shower after talking the front wheel bearings this evening. Took the Cruiser to a shop I tow for to get the alignment done on Saturday. The tech informs me that a wheel bearing sounds bad, no problem, I can do it at my shop. I take off down the road and the car has a noticeable shim in the steering, thinking it was the hub I continued to drive it all through Sunday night when the front end started to hop pretty nicely. With a little grinding I was hearing, I figure the bearing went tango uniform.

I drive the car to my shop to replace the front bearings with Timkens and the lug nuts on the passenger side were not even finger tight! I twisted all of them off by finger after I jacked and supported the front end. Found my shim, LOL! I continued with the front bearings with a little help from some videos here and a buddy that came down to help so he could get some quiet time from the kids. My thirty ton press made easy work of the bearings and things went rather easy, except one retainer ring bolt rounded off, but with a little enginuity, we got it out and found a replacement bolt (one that we found in my dad thirty six year collection of bolts) to use and got the job down in three hours.

Thanks to those that posted videos that made it to DIY, you guys made it easier for sure.

As for the slightly chewed up rim, taking in per the manager of that shop to see if the rim is usable long term or if its junk. I managed to get it torqued down, but will let him decide.

US Army Veteran

Old 30 Oct 2012, 09:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Just finished.

Welcome aboard. Good job on the wheel bearings. Loose wheel lugs!Wow that sucks! Automotive service industry seems to be turning in to crap lately!

Now they can't even tighten wheel lugs! WTH!

Last edited by Chip18sw; 30 Oct 2012 at 09:38 am.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 09:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

They were fingering on you letting them fix it and forgot to tighten it up. That's the old assuming thing again.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Oct 2012, 09:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Busted_PT turned me on to this thread. Can you lead me to the videos you speak of? THanks Steve
Old 30 Oct 2012, 11:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Something like this happened to me years ago on a Ford Contour I had years ago...

Had some work done and was driving on the weekend with my kids, starting making weird noise, called shop told me to drop it off on Monday. Next thing I know the caliper was on the ground and the wheel wasn't attached. Luckily happened at low speed in a drive-thru. We kind of knew the shop owner and he came with his tow truck and fixed it up.

Was totally their fault. He apologized up and down...
Old 30 Oct 2012, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikestobike View Post
Something like this happened to me years ago on a Ford Contour I had years ago...

Had some work done and was driving on the weekend with my kids, starting making weird noise, called shop told me to drop it off on Monday. Next thing I know the caliper was on the ground and the wheel wasn't attached. Luckily happened at low speed in a drive-thru. We kind of knew the shop owner and he came with his tow truck and fixed it up.

Was totally their fault. He apologized up and down...
He stood up and fixed his mistake like he should. I can respect that. It really is easy to get distracted in a shop. There is a lot going on all the time.
Badglas likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Oct 2012, 12:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Member named PonchoVillian has three posted on YouTube. They are named 2004 PT Cruiser Front Wheel Bearing Replacement and then the corresponding part of 1, 2, or 3. His screen name is the same on YouTube, but his name may be different here. But gets all the credit.

US Army Veteran

Old 30 Oct 2012, 12:13 pm
Young Cruiser

I forgot to mention that it was a good thing I took it in on Saturday, after they put it on the rack I watched him shake the tire side to side and the tie rod fell apart from wear. I got lucky, I know this because I am usually on the towing end of things. I operate a MD recovery/flatbed tow truck everyday, so I was glad I made it to their shop.

US Army Veteran

Old 30 Oct 2012, 12:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehaulin View Post
I forgot to mention that it was a good thing I took it in on Saturday, after they put it on the rack I watched him shake the tire side to side and the tie rod fell apart from wear. I got lucky, I know this because I am usually on the towing end of things. I operate a MD recovery/flatbed tow truck everyday, so I was glad I made it to their shop.
That was close!

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Oct 2012, 12:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There is NEVER an excuse for not torquing vital vehicle fasteners. If you get side tracked you mark the part you are working on in such a way that you know the work is incomplete. In the case of wheels the last thing before the car moves is to do a final wheel torquing on all the wheels regardless if you removed them or not. 2 minutes work can save a life.
Sorry but that is just plain negligence on the part of any automotive service shop and more then likely there practice to hire less then qualified people.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN