PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
brakes life expectancy outrageous

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Nov 2012, 01:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default brakes life expectancy outrageous

Went to have front pads replaced @ 23000 mi. not thrilled, but willing to accept it. Found that rotors need replacing and rear shoes need to be replaced. Isn't this pretty poor life on brakes? Have seen a few others with same complaint in here. How widespread is this problem?

PS We don't ride the pedal
Old 16 Nov 2012, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: brakes life expectancy outrageous

Yep, poorly made OEM brakes and rotors not to mention the ungodly amount of brake dust. I didn't go much further than you did before replacing pads and rotors on the front. I have shoes and drums on the rear. Lasted till 100,000 with them.
Old 16 Nov 2012, 01:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

I still have 50% after 5 years ! And no dust , they perform like magic... maybe I baby it, but so be it.. And like they say , you get what you pay for ... where you get yours? Somalia ?
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 16 Nov 2012, 02:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i drive fast, constantly 10-15 over the limit, but i do a lot of downshifting, a lot of coasting, and always slow down early. i have only locked up my brakes maybe 5 times since i've owned the car. i've only used them once hard enough to feel brake fade. about 40% of my driving is jerking along in first and second gear in traffic(my ride home from work).

when i got my car with 200k miles on it, the front brake pads had ~3/8" of meat left on them. i am now at 248,500 miles and the pads/rotors look exactly like they did the day i got the car.

they are either bendix or raybestos pads, im not sure.
Old 16 Nov 2012, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Vlefaive and rob342,

Your both getting great mileage out of your brake pads BUT, according to what your saying you both are the second owner of your cars.

Vlefaive your saying after 5 years, but your PT 9 years old and rob342 you bought the car with 200K so there's a least one other owner before you.

It's very possible that the first owners changed out the pads before you guys got hold of the car so your both giving experience with aftermarket brakes NOT the OEM's.

Oldfatman () is talking about OEM pads and rotors that came with the car from the factory. They are crap, not only me but lots of others on the forum that complained about the fast ware and heavy brake dust and 9 out of 10 owners had to change the rotors the first time the pads wore out because of the cheap material used.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 16 Nov 2012, 02:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There are technical reasons for all the above statements!
Generally speaking and simply put the PT is a heavy front weighted vehicle and because aprox. 75% of the stopping force is on the front brakes it would seem reasonable that the wear on a PT's brakes comparatively to other vehicle may be higher then average? Other wise it it the way the vehicle brakes are applied.

Brake dust is a constant with any vehicle depending on the material used for the pads.

Having done 3 brake jobs on PT's of various years, millage and state of tunes one was a compete replacement of everything except the ABS unit I did not see any unusual or premature pad wear from them? And yes they all had none OEM parts pads rotors, (rebuilt)calipers, etc.

I do know that a large majority of home mechanic's/hobbyist's do not machine as required the rotors when they replace the pads?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 16 Nov 2012 at 03:08 pm.
Old 16 Nov 2012, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't if they don't shake and are pretty smooth both sides. But that is rare. They tend to build rust on the rotor in the braking area for some reason. Not from being park ether.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Nov 2012, 04:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I did not notice the year but in 2000 and 2001 there were a lot of cars all brands that had brake rotors that were made in China.

People were burning thru them like candy! Our 2000 Daewoo was on it's thrid set of rotors with 35,000 miles on it!

I didn't play that crap and got Cryo rotors, just turned them a few months ago with 100'000 miles on them.

Most likely the OP won't have to go to that extreme as I don't believe crap rotors are being made today?
Old 16 Nov 2012, 04:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Back in that time period it was the OEM Chryslers that gave the problem. Aftermarket was the fix.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Nov 2012, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There are 4 responses in here #2,#8 and #9 so far that show how unsubstantiated bs about car's get started and passed along.

Sorry guys really..........

I am not even going to go into who makes some of the OEM brakes parts that are branded OEM that are the same ones you get at your local auto parts store. Not to mention Chrysler absolutely has no information that indicates an abnormal replacement of brake components at any time in the PT's History???

Facts are facts boys... and as for the shade tree doing his own work and especially brake work on their own vehicles well, I am so happy that the very old technology of brake systems still allows for major maintenance short comings and still function to stop the car in the event of emergency!

I swear they should make a comedy TV series about a auto shop and auto parts store. I know where the writers can get plenty of material for several seasons of shows. Just log on any auto forum and go crazy!

Ok now I had better...............

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 16 Nov 2012 at 05:06 pm. Reason: pads to parts

Tags
23000 mi, brakes, short life