PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
control arm fun. WEE!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2012, 09:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default control arm fun. WEE!

so yesterday i took on the job of rebuilding my front control arms with balljoints OURPTGT was nice enough to send me, and a prothane bushing kit i purchased. my mechanic friend said just to order new arms, then he ordered me new arms just in case. he said he could always return them.

i cut the big bushing apart and got it ready for the new one, then i pressed out the long bushing and the balljoint. well, long story short, the new ball joint fit way too loose in the control arm. it jiggled in the hole and wouldn't have been safe. maybe i messed it up with the press? IDK. HMPH. that turned out not to matter very much because the passenger side arm had to be torched off anyways. i'm glad he knew better and ordered the new arms. i broke one of the swaybar links. i had a bad drivers side tierod. i could pull it up and down appx 1/8".

now i have new arms, new front tires, a new tierod end, and new swaybar links. it's like a different car. all rattles and popping sounds are gone. it's great. i think the low speed clunk people hear is caused by worn sway bar links, not the bar bushings. i left those, and my clunk is gone.

Uptown: i saved the metal bushing insert you wanted me to measure ages ago. i can either measure it for you, or send it to you. let me know if you still need that

if anyone with a decent post count wants the prothane kit and balljoints to use, i'll send them to you for a case of beer(or free).

fyi, they have all the service records for this car, the front arms lasted 140k miles

here are three pictures of my misery for you all to enjoy:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0278.jpg (92.1 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0279.jpg (93.0 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0281.jpg (98.4 KB, 278 views)

Last edited by rob342; 21 Nov 2012 at 10:11 am.
Old 21 Nov 2012, 09:40 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: control arm fun. WEE!

oh, also since i put the new tires in front..

he recommended i watch this michelin safety video, showing why shops are required to install the new tires in the rear.

a funny thing i noticed is where the car spins out at 1:17, he steered into the slide and purposely made it spin out.

Last edited by rob342; 21 Nov 2012 at 12:55 pm.
Old 21 Nov 2012, 09:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
so yesterday i took on the job of rebuilding my front control arms with balljoints OURPTGT was nice enough to send me, and a prothane bushing kit i purchased. my mechanic friend said just to order new arms, then he ordered me new arms just in case. he said he could always return them.

i cut the big bushing apart and got it ready for the new one, then i pressed out the long bushing and the balljoint. well, long story short, the new ball joint fit way too loose in the control arm. it juggled in the hole and wouldn't have been safe. maybe i messed it up with the press? IDK. HMPH. that turned out not to matter very much because the passenger side arm had to be torched off anyways. i'm glad he knew better and ordered the new arms. i broke one of the swaybar links. i had a bad drivers side tierod. i could pull it up and down appx 1/8".

now i have new arms, new front tires, a new tierod end, and new swaybar links. it's like a different car. all rattles and popping sounds are gone. it's great. i think the low speed clunk people hear is caused by worn sway bar links, not the bar bushings. i left those, and my clunk is gone.

Uptown: i saved the metal bushing insert you wanted me to measure ages ago. i can either measure it for you, or send it to you. let me know if you still need that

if anyone with a decent post count wants the prothane kit and balljoints to use, i'll send them to you for a case of beer(or free).

fyi, they have all the service records for this car, the front arms lasted 140k miles

I be insterested in these.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Nov 2012, 09:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I be insterested in these.
PM me your address, i'll send them out (:
Old 21 Nov 2012, 03:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Why did they cut the arm?
The vertical bolt seize to the steel bushing??

Thanks! Just the measurements would be great!!!!

Michelin is absolutely right; rear loses traction rear en swigs around an car is out of control- Front car continues straight until traction regained
Old 21 Nov 2012, 04:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Why did they cut the arm?
The vertical bolt seize to the steel bushing??

Thanks! Just the measurements would be great!!!!

Michelin is absolutely right; rear loses traction rear en swigs around an car is out of control- Front car continues straight until traction regained
we cut the arm with the torch and cut the rubber off with an airsaw in order to heat the metal sleeve the bolt passes through. it was a PITA but it worked great to get the stubborn bolt out. the arm was last replaced in 2006 at 104k miles. i'm at 248.5k miles now

i'll PM you measurements as soon as i get a chance to sit down and do it properly.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 04:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=rob342;456814]so yesterday i took on the job of rebuilding my front control arms with balljoints OURPTGT was nice enough to send me, and a prothane bushing kit i purchased. my mechanic friend said just to order new arms, then he ordered me new arms just in case. he said he could always return them.

i cut the big bushing apart and got it ready for the new one, then i pressed out the long bushing and the balljoint. well, long story short, the new ball joint fit way too loose in the control arm. it jiggled in the hole and wouldn't have been safe. maybe i messed it up with the press? IDK. HMPH. that turned out not to matter very much because the passenger side arm had to be torched off anyways. i'm glad he knew better and ordered the new arms. i broke one of the swaybar links. i had a bad drivers side tierod. i could pull it up and down appx 1/8".

Thanks for the gift they arrived today. Now that's Street Cheese! Rob you also get the strongest packaging award. I thought I was in after I cut the fiberglass tape but no the two sided industrial strength tape still had a firm grip on my treasure. As you see in the picture I finally got at them. Thank's again for the free stuff. will use these on the dream when I restore it.
rob342 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Nov 2012, 12:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sorry those ball joints didn't work out for you
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 21 Nov 2015, 08:54 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post

Rob you also get the strongest packaging award. I thought I was in after I cut the fiberglass tape but no the two sided industrial strength tape still had a firm grip on my treasure. As you see in the picture I finally got at them. Thank's again for the free stuff. will use these on the dream when I restore it.
yeah? YOU SHOULD SEE HOW I SHIP HEADS!!! i even had lag bolts through a couple head bolt holes holding them to the bottom.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (84.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 21 Nov 2015, 12:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post

I had the same experience with ball joints purchased from NAPA
and the bushings were already tearing after 3 months.

I thought about tac welding the ball joints in even thought they came with outside retaining circlips.
rob342 likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh