PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hi all! Need some advice on sticking brake pads please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Dec 2012, 08:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hi all! Need some advice on sticking brake pads please!

Hey guys!

Im back to once again seek some help and advice from you gracious pt lovers!

I have a 2001 automatic PT. Recently started hearing loud clunking/scraping from wheels, which of course was just my calipers begging for new pads.

So i went down to my local auto store and bought new pads (premium - all ceramic - best they had).

Went home and installed the pads (i have done this quite a few times myself on this car, so i didnt have any trouble). After installing the new pads, i took my car around the neighborhood for a test drive.

I am now noticing that it feels as though when i let off the brake, the pads are not releasing completely. While it doesnt stop my car from being able to move at all (i can drive fine with foot on gas), when i release the gas pedal, my car slows down much faster than normal, and if i brake to a stop, my car will not move while idling unless i give it gas.

I do not hear any loud noises like scraping. The only noise that i do hear is a feint squeal/squeak as the front left tire turns (i dont recall ever noticing this noise prior to replacing pads).

Now, two things i did notice while changing pads. When i removed the caliper off the housing/pads and rested it on top of the rotor, i did notice some brake fluid leak on to the driveway while installing the new pads (not a huge amount by any means, but more than a few drops)...but i thought i remember that happening every time ive changed pads (or maybe not?). I checked my brake fluid, and its actually completely full almost up to the very rim of the cap. Not sure how thats possible after some leaking out. Could it be backed up? Like maybe a kink in the line? If so, maybe that causing a pressure issue and not allowing the caliper to open completely?

The other possible issue i noticed....the two "plugs" that house the two bolts that need to be removed to remove the calipers....the ones that are supposed to push in and spring out, and can be removed by pulling them out.....they are COMPLETELY jammed in on the same wheel that im hearing the squealing noise. The other front wheel i can pull those two out just fine. But these almost appear to be rusted in. Could this be the whole problem? Do i need to work on getting them out and lube them up? Im sure i should do that anyway, and i will, but im curious if this could cause this issue?

Any help, advice, opinions, insight would be SO greatly appreciated! Times are tough, and i just cant afford to put the car in the shop unless absolutely necessary. Thank you all in advance!
Old 02 Dec 2012, 10:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Hi all! Need some advice on sticking brake pads please!

Those 2 bolts allow the caliper to slide when applying brakes. You should remove them, clean and lightly grease them each brake job. You can get a new hardware kit that has these in it too.

As for the brake fluid, you could have pushed it out of the master cylinder if it was full and brakes were wore down when you pressed the piston back into the caliper. Now with new brakes it doesn't take as much fluid in the system and had to go some where.

As for squealing, ceramic pads are nosier compared to organic pads since the are harder material. Most are a blend to have the best of both worlds though and may be pretty quiet.
Old 02 Dec 2012, 11:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The caliper slides must be free to move so you have braking force on both sides of the pads. Sounds like you had a lot of brake fluid when you compressed the calipers. You can use a turkey baster to remove some. If the fluid is not clear you should flush the fluid. Having strong brakes performance is priceless.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 03 Dec 2012, 12:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Oh wow, thanks guys!

A couple questions. Any ideas as to how i could get those two bolt housings removed to lube? I tried briefly by knocking with a hammer and screw driver, but couldn't get it. I just didn't want to bang full force because i was worried about damaging something.

Also, if all the fluid did push back up to the reservoir, is there anything i need to do about it other than removing some? Like do i need to bleed the brakes to get the fluid back to the master cylinder? Or will it do that on its on?

I did notice on this tire that the inside break pad still had a lot of ceramic on it whereas the other 3 were completely ground down, so that makes sense beings the bolt holder are stuck.

So just to clarify, there is a good chance that the stuck bolts are causing the brakes to stick?
Old 03 Dec 2012, 08:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

To remove the slides, you can screw in a longer bold and use an adjustable wrench and hammer. If you don't have enough leverage, you will have to remove it and work on a bench. You will need to bleed if that happens. Working it back an forth with WD-40 will definitely help. You can always replace parts that don't survive.

The exess fluid needs to be drained. The master cylinder already has plenty of fluid, the resivior is filling once you compressed the calipers. Drain it to the full line. Someone probably added fluid while your brakes were worn.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 03 Dec 2012, 12:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks again for the responses.

Im trying to get the slides out right now. They just will not flippin budge. Ive tried everything. I took the housing off so i had more room to work with but that didnt help. Ive tried a longer bolt with vice grips and tried hammering them out. I tried lifting back the rubber and snuck some wd40 in. Nothing is helping. They just wont budge even the slightest bit.

Any other ideas? If i took the housing to an auto parts store or shop, would they possibly help me get them out?

I am so frustrated. This is just crazy.
Old 03 Dec 2012, 12:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just an update -

Called around and no shop was willing to get the pins out for me, not even if i paid. They all said "its a liability" and that they would have to do a whole brake job. Oh please.

So i decided to just call my local parts store and order a whole new caliper bracket (34.99) that will be here today at 530. And my other local store has the slide pins in stock for $14.

So, is there anything i need to do when installing the new bracket and pins? Will the pins come pre-lubed? If not, would do you all recommend i use to lube them?

Thanks again so much for all the help guys. Really appreciate it more than you could ever know!!!!
Old 03 Dec 2012, 04:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I doubt they'll be pre-lubed. Get high temp brake lube and be stingy - only need a little.
Put a bit on the brake shims where the pads rub, also.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Dec 2012, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

do a good clean up on the bracket that hold the caliper clean the threads greese them pins really good slide them in and out a few time and then put it togther hard to belive they were stuck that hard but odd things do happen