PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help - Roll bar links keep going. Any ideas?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2012, 01:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help - Roll bar links keep going. Any ideas?

Hi all.
I have a 2003 PT 2ltr.
The two front anti-roll bar links (its like a bolt with a white plastic bush) keep breaking. One of these will go about every 4 to 6 weeks!
Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone else know what underlying problem could be causing this?

Many thanks
Old 06 Dec 2012, 03:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Help - Roll bar links keep going. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroman1 View Post
Hi all.
I have a 2003 PT 2ltr.
The two front anti-roll bar links (its like a bolt with a white plastic bush) keep breaking. One of these will go about every 4 to 6 weeks!
Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone else know what underlying problem could be causing this?

Many thanks
i would guess it's one of these 5 things:

1 swaybar is bent

2 swaybar links installed incorrectly(bushings backwards / bolts inserted from bottom instead of the top / metal spacer missing)

3 nuts not tightened enough

4 nuts installed too tight

5 inferior quality parts / wrong link kit. mine had a small ~3/8" center metal spacer. maybe yours are too long and it's bending the bolt?

do you have a pic of a broken one or know where they are breaking?

Last edited by rob342; 06 Dec 2012 at 03:04 pm.
Old 06 Dec 2012, 04:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Another possible "installed incorrectly" factor:
Everything should be tightened with the car sitting on the tires, the car at ride height.

From the shop manual:
"INSTALLATION
NOTE: Before stabilizer bar installation, inspect the cushions and links for excessive wear, cracks, damage and distortion. Replace any pieces failing inspection.
(1) If removed, install the stabilizer bar cushions on the stabilizer bar utilizing the slit in each cushion. Position the cushions at each end of the bars straight beam, just before it begins to curve. NOTE: Before installing the stabilizer bar, make sure the bar is not upside-down. The stabilizer bar must be installed with the curve on the outboard ends of the bar facing downward to clear the control arms once fully installed.
(2) First, place the stabilizer bar in position on the front suspension crossmember. The slits in each cushion must point toward the front of the vehicle and sit directly on top of the raised beads formed into the stamping on the crossmember. Next, install the cushion retainers, matching the raised beads formed into the cushion retainers to the grooves formed into the cushions. Install the cushion retainer bolts, but do not completely tighten them at this time.
(3) Clean the threads of the stabilizer bar link bolts, then apply Mopart Lock And Seal or equivalent to the threads.
(4) Install both stabilizer bar links back on vehicle. Start each stabilizer bar link bolt with bushing from the bottom, through the stabilizer bar, inner link bushings, lower control arm, and into the upper retainer/nut and bushing. Do not fully tighten the link assemblies at this time.
(5) Lower the vehicle.
NOTE: It may be necessary to put the vehicle on a
platform hoist or alignment rack to gain access to the stabilizer bar mounting bolts with the vehicle at curb height.
(6) Tighten each stabilizer bar link
by holding the upper retainer/nut with a wrench and turning the link bolt. Tighten each link bolt to a torque of 28
Nm (250 in. lbs.).
(7) Tighten the stabilizer bar cushion retainer bolts to a torque of 28 Nm (250 in. lbs.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i would guess it's one of these ... things:
2 swaybar links installed incorrectly(bushings backwards / bolts inserted from bottom instead of the top / metal spacer missing)
Old 06 Dec 2012, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You of course know that these are installed while hanging in the air on the assembly line.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Dec 2012, 03:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You of course know that these are installed while hanging in the air on the assembly line.
now, i'm not saying i did it right, but..

i installed mine while the car was on the lift with the wheels hanging and i've had no issues.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 07 Dec 2012, 05:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
i would guess it's one of these 5 things:

1 swaybar is bent

3 nuts not tightened enough

4 nuts installed too tight

5 inferior quality parts / wrong link kit. mine had a small ~3/8" center metal spacer. maybe yours are too long and it's bending the bolt?

do you have a pic of a broken one or know where they are breaking?
The bolts are breaking at the top of the threaded part. The bolt is smooth where it goes through the bush and then narrows where it is threaded. It always snaps on the narrower threaded part.
Old 07 Dec 2012, 06:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i would thread the nut onto the bolt with it off the car and mark the threads where the nut is when there is appx 1/16" thread still showing before the smooth part. it sounds like you're cranking them on too tight and bottoming the nut out onto the shaft.

if you didn't lose any parts you might get some grade 8 bolts from the hardware store so you know they are decent quality bolts
Old 07 Dec 2012, 08:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
i would thread the nut onto the bolt with it off the car and mark the threads where the nut is when there is appx 1/16" thread still showing before the smooth part. it sounds like you're cranking them on too tight and bottoming the nut out onto the shaft.

if you didn't lose any parts you might get some grade 8 bolts from the hardware store so you know they are decent quality bolts
I think that there has to be something else wrong. I have never seen one break unless it was rusted to where the diameter was so small it broke off. It must be binding against something. A picture would tell us volumes.
Ray_Dockrey and Badglas like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Dec 2012, 09:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I think that there has to be something else wrong. I have never seen one break unless it was rusted to where the diameter was so small it broke off. It must be binding against something. A picture would tell us volumes.
i tend to tighten stuff like a gorilla and i've broken many bolts where the thread meets the shank. usually exhaust studs for me. the nut can't twist on any farther and it stresses/twists the steel when you try. the first thread does most of the work. if it's breaking at the "runout" area, this is almost certainly the cause.

Notes on Nuts and Bolts edit: just read the "bolt terms" part, not the whole thing.(it's short)

im big on the "K.I.S.S" method of doing things. IMO the simplest solution is usually the correct one.
Badglas likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 07 Dec 2012 at 09:13 pm.
Old 07 Dec 2012, 10:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
i tend to tighten stuff like a gorilla and i've broken many bolts where the thread meets the shank. usually exhaust studs for me. the nut can't twist on any farther and it stresses/twists the steel when you try. the first thread does most of the work. if it's breaking at the "runout" area, this is almost certainly the cause.

Notes on Nuts and Bolts edit: just read the "bolt terms" part, not the whole thing.(it's short)

im big on the "K.I.S.S" method of doing things. IMO the simplest solution is usually the correct one.
Ya, breaking it on the install. I only tighten these till the bushings start to squash a little.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
anti-roll bar, links