PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Has anyone lowered the rear with lowering springs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2012, 12:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Has anyone lowered the rear with lowering springs?

Is there anyway to lower the rear end besides using springs and bags. I was thinking of maybe raising shock mounts. Maybe change the hight of the rear spindels. I think I might get a rear I-beam at the junk yard and see what can be done. Guess it might be time to buy a welder.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH

Last edited by needmoretoys; 09 Dec 2012 at 12:02 am. Reason: fixed Typo
Old 09 Dec 2012, 12:40 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Has anyone lowered the rear with lowering springs?

Can the lower spring perch be moved down or the uppers be moved up?

Old 09 Dec 2012, 06:07 am
Fanatic Cruiser

You can NOT lower the car WITHOUT shorter springs unless you cut your stock springs which is stronly advised against. And peronally I don't understand what the hussle is, there are springs on Ebay for less than $100...
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 09 Dec 2012, 10:59 am
Senior Cruiser

The rear is super easy to change springs and lower the back if you have a floor jack and jack stands. In some cases it's possible to do it in a few minutes without removing the wheels or diconnecting the shocks. Worse case, if you have to remove the wheels and shocks, it becomes a half hour job. As far as I know, lowering springs are sold new in sets of 4 but many owners have purchased sets cheap enough and just not utilized the fronts at all.

A lot of owners feel that the rear sits a bit higher than the front. This is because the Cruisers are designed to carry a load in back once in a while so the rear starts out a little higher. Because lowering shortens the suspension travel, the bump stops should be cut down a couple inches. While you're changing the springs, just twist the stops out with your hand, chop off an inch or two and shove them back. It's a good idea to go with firmer than stock shocks to prevent bottoming out but you can wait on that to see if you really have to do that step later on.
Old 09 Dec 2012, 07:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You guys missed the point completely. If you were to somehow raise the rear spindles you would keep the factory ride but lose the factory ride hight. I have mine lowered about 3.5 inches now and I really don't like the way the spings fit in there. They are alot shorter then the stocks. I can jack up my car right now and pull them out without removing the shocks. What I'm thinking is to make a new mount on the Ibeam that would raise the spidle up maybe 3 or 4 inches. I haven't gotten to really look at it to see that it can be done or not.

Old 09 Dec 2012, 08:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

That's what happens when you title the thread "Has anyone lowered the rear with lowering springs?" like you did.

Very very few people have dropped 3 1/2" and want to go lower yet. Here's one of the few......
More Lows?
Old 09 Dec 2012, 08:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
That's what happens when you title the thread "Has anyone lowered the rear with lowering springs?" like you did.

Very very few people have dropped 3 1/2" and want to go lower yet. Here's one of the few......
More Lows?
Damn how did I do that one. I meant to say without. Sorry about that. I'll see if I can change it.
I cant edit the title.

Last edited by needmoretoys; 09 Dec 2012 at 09:01 pm. Reason: Cant'change title
Old 09 Dec 2012, 09:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Has anyone lowered the rear without lowering springs?

Maybe Crewzin can edit the post to say without lowering springs.

Old 10 Dec 2012, 12:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Re: Has anyone lowered the rear without lowering springs?

I would not recommend doing this unless you are a suspension designer or have someone that does suspension design, fabrication of performance specialty components with experience in suspension designs.

The PT rear suspension consists of an axle with a watts link, spring,shocks and wheel hubs.
Those wheel hubs are attached to the axle with 4 harden fasteners and nuts. It would be very easy to fabricate a flat braced steel spacer/bracket that would relocate the hub upward. This would lower the PT's rear end without the need for special lower then stock springs. You would have to do careful measurements and adjust the bump stop for the shorter axle upward travel.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Dec 2012, 12:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Re: Has anyone lowered the rear without lowering springs?

I would not recommend doing this unless you are a suspension designer or have someone that does suspension design, fabrication of performance specialty components with experience in suspension designs.

The PT rear suspension consists of an axle with a watts link, spring,shocks and wheel hubs.
Those wheel hubs are attached to the axle with 4 harden fasteners and nuts. It would be very easy to fabricate a flat braced steel spacer/bracket that would relocate the hub upward. This would lower the PT's rear end without the need for special lower then stock springs. You would have to do careful measurements and adjust the bump stop for the shorter axle upward travel.
Thats what I was questioning myself, would there be less wheel travel? The suspension would be in the factory possition only the wheels would be moved up., lowering the car. I just wasn't sure of what would happen.