Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front Wheel Bearings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2012, 08:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Front Wheel Bearings

I just changed my right front wheel bearing. I was skeptical and nevous as I have heard these are a bitch without a press. Therfore I have a tip which may help some. I bought the bearing kit at Harbor freight for 99 bucks. After removing the knuckle I hammered out the hub with a 1 1/4 inch socket from the back. After that I cut a slot into the inner race still left on the hub, very carefully. Once you get a nice groove, whack it with a chisel and it comes off with your hand once it opens up. Using the correct spacers in the bearing kit I started hammering the outer race after I removed the shield, just to get it going. Grease the threaded rod that comes with the kit, and the washers that contact the nuts. This ended up being too slow so I hammered out the outer race too using the spacers and a socket to protect the spacers. Ok, cleanup the knuckle and hub with some fine emery cloth.

Freeze the new bearing in your freezer. I put mine in a couple days before I did the work. Heat up the knuckle to a couple hundred degrees. I used my gas grill as I am sure my wife would not have appreciated this in our cooking range. This is the tip. If the knuckle is hot enough the bearing drops right in! This is an old tip I used in motorcycle rebuilding with aluminum cases, but the same applies. I forgot to mention to freeze the hub while you are heating up the knuckle. I used the bearing kit to pull the hub into the bearing. The whole job took 1 1/2 hours.

Last edited by L2fish; 18 Dec 2012 at 08:22 pm.