PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Squeek/creak

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27 Dec 2012, 01:40 am
SabreGrub's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 26
Unhappy Rear Squeek/creak

Hello, my 2002 pt limited is acting up.

The rear end squeeks really loud when going over speedbumps and entering or exiting driveways with any speed. I've thrown the car up on ramps and sprayed all the bushings i can see with silicone and the squeek remains, no difference in volume. Its not quiet, its like really loud in the cabin and sounds terrible. Kinda metal on metal spring noise. I know the previous owner was an idiot and had a knack for hitting speedbumps at great speed so do you think it could be struts?

I checked the bellcrank and its good. sway bar bushings (first suspect) seem ok.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
__________________
2002 Cruiser Limited 43000 miles. lowered 1.5" rear, weight reduction, magnaflow exhaust, aFE intake

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27 Dec 2012, 03:18 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,354
Default Re: Rear Squeek/creak

Rear strut mounts are shot, probably internally, Remove a strut and look inside the bushing, its probably worn straight through. Good news is rear strusts on a 02 are cheap as hell :-p

Even after i replaced mine i had as squeak, turned out that i hadnt tightened the mounting bolts enough which was allowing a bit of play on the bolt.


:-)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Dec 2012, 10:01 am
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Rear Squeek/creak

Check the spare tire, too - if it's loose it can squeak.
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27 Dec 2012, 11:09 am
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,665
Default Re: Rear Squeek/creak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreGrub View Post
Hello, my 2002 pt limited is acting up.

The rear end squeeks really loud when going over speedbumps and entering or exiting driveways with any speed. I've thrown the car up on ramps and sprayed all the bushings i can see with silicone and the squeek remains, no difference in volume. Its not quiet, its like really loud in the cabin and sounds terrible. Kinda metal on metal spring noise. I know the previous owner was an idiot and had a knack for hitting speedbumps at great speed so do you think it could be struts?

I checked the bellcrank and its good. sway bar bushings (first suspect) seem ok.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
This time of year you may be getting a lot of salt in the air where you live in San Diego CA. I lived in Santa Cruz CA for 13 years and I need to always lube up the rubber right around and after winter. I used RED LINE grease that seems to work better then anything else with the exception of my Polyethylene lubricant.

Silicone spray is a very short term lubricant for this condition. My guess is when you applied it that you had peace and quiet for about two day and then the squeaks returned?


__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 27 Dec 2012 at 11:12 am.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 27 Dec 2012, 07:33 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,354
Default Re: Rear Squeek/creak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
This time of year you may be getting a lot of salt in the air where you live in San Diego CA. I lived in Santa Cruz CA for 13 years and I need to always lube up the rubber right around and after winter. I used RED LINE grease that seems to work better then anything else with the exception of my Polyethylene lubricant.

Silicone spray is a very short term lubricant for this condition. My guess is when you applied it that you had peace and quiet for about two day and then the squeaks returned?


Redline is very good, if you cant find it go to your nearest tractor supply and get some J31 5thwheel grease :-D that stuff lasts YEARS :-D
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 28 Dec 2012, 01:52 am
SabreGrub's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 26
Default Re: Rear Squeek/creak

Actually, i lubed em up and took it out and exactly the same squeek occured. im leaning toward the struts and strut mounts.
__________________
2002 Cruiser Limited 43000 miles. lowered 1.5" rear, weight reduction, magnaflow exhaust, aFE intake

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 28 Dec 2012, 09:49 am
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,665
Default Re: Rear Squeek/creak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreGrub View Post
Hello, my 2002 pt limited is acting up.

The rear end squeeks really loud when going over speedbumps and entering or exiting driveways with any speed. I've thrown the car up on ramps and sprayed all the bushings i can see with silicone and the squeek remains, no difference in volume. Its not quiet, its like really loud in the cabin and sounds terrible. Kinda metal on metal spring noise. I know the previous owner was an idiot and had a knack for hitting speedbumps at great speed so do you think it could be struts?

I checked the bellcrank and its good. sway bar bushings (first suspect) seem ok.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreGrub View Post
Actually, i lubed em up and took it out and exactly the same squeek occured. im leaning toward the struts and strut mounts.
Shocks are on the rear strut assemblies are on the front, you mentioned the rear?

__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 29 Dec 2012, 12:31 am
SabreGrub's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 26
Default Re: Rear Squeek/creak

Yes im referring to the shock absorbers, its a habit to call all four struts as most modern cars ditched the live rear axle.
__________________
2002 Cruiser Limited 43000 miles. lowered 1.5" rear, weight reduction, magnaflow exhaust, aFE intake

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rattle/squeek in rear passenger area - help!! dolemite General PT Cruiser Discussions 6 21 Oct 2008 09:21 pm
Driver Side Rear rattle or squeek Imdaddog PT Cruiser Convertible Forum 1 28 Nov 2007 01:06 pm
Rattle/squeek in dashboard robinjoe General PT Cruiser Discussions 1 05 Apr 2007 10:24 am
Annoying squeek in dashboard robinjoe Interior Accessories Forum 3 30 Mar 2007 10:06 pm
No more squeek turbomangt General PT Cruiser Discussions 3 15 Dec 2003 09:20 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors