Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PERSONAL experience with tyrebrands

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2012, 10:24 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default PERSONAL experience with tyrebrands

Inspired by the 'Tire questions' tread, I think it's better to start this tread to gather first hand info on all sorts of tyrebrands. So Here goes my experience gathered over two decades on various cars:

On my first newly bought car I put 16" wheels with Pirelli P6 tyres. These were the best EVER ! The car never gave in, under no circumstance. But after 20.000 miles they were done untill zero. All Pirelli's I bought afterwards were not as good or even not good at all.

The Michelin Primacy HP that came stock on my Honda Civic are fantastic. Untill now I've done 35000 miles and they're still legal. They are noisier now and grip isn 't as good anymore, but I still feel save on them. But I also owned terrible Michelins.

I 've owned some Borbet 18" wheels with Dunlop SP9000 tyres on them, an often praised tyre. They were awfull ! No grip on dry roads and unpredictable on wet roads which made them simply dangerous

But even within the same brand there's much difference in tyre performance. I 've had Conti Premium contact on a new car once and on that car they were more like Minimum Contact. Worse tyres ever !
Then I bought me some 18" wheels with worn out Conti Sport Contact 5's on them and these were amazing ! With tread beneath minimum they still had all grip necessary in wet and dry.
The Premium Contact tyres won lot's of awards for being "outstanding". So who 's right ? Me or the people handing out awards ?

On the 17" wheels that I have for the PT there are two brands of tyres: two Goodyear Excellence and two Uniroyal Rainsport 2. Both the tyres have lots of grip, but the Uniroyals are too soft which makes the sidewalls flex too much and gives me the feeling I'm driving on pillows. The Excellences have lots of bad reviews on various sites, but I have nothing but good things to tell about them.

The guy I bought my latest 18" rimms from, kept the tyres that were on them because they were so damn good he 's going to put them on his 265 hp Renault Megane RS when his tyres are gone. That much confidence does he have in these tyres... which tyres ? Federal SS595 ! One of the often trashed brands out there...

Next chapter: I 've got 18" wheel lying in the garage with Goodyear F1 assymetric 2 tyres on them. Bought them new, really expensive tyres going way above $230 each. But I never found one bad review about these Goodyear F1's and on my Honda I only want the best. This means I will find out if I agree with the reviews or not.
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 27 Dec 2012, 10:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PERSONAL experience with tyrebrands

My first set of tires were 2, G70x15s recaps in 1975. And that was about 100+ vehicles and 500+ tires ago?

Tires never really perform the same on even 2 identical cars. There are way to many variables, vehicle mechanical condition,drivers ability and experience,road conditions, environmental etc. The best you can do is narrow it down to a good guess.
Even in racing it is a crap shoot. I have used Hoosiers, Goodyear and Micky Thompson, and a few other off brands and they all seem to do well at times and other times I couldn't throw them far enough in the pit away from me!

I have seemed to adjusted liking Goodyear Eagles and Kumho Ecsta for the street.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Dec 2012, 11:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Build of tire was visibly better with Michelin;
they had a very thick 'inner liner' that separated air from porous build rubber.
Cheaper tires like BFG would have little to no inner liner and it would crack.

They used cables just up from bead, all other tire companies just used very stiff filler rubber, found out later this design would handle better yet leave the sidewall compliant.

Truck tires you'd really see a difference, as they sometimes go as many as four caps ... Considering original tires would go 100,000 miles (steers) to 300,000 miles (drives) it'd be close to a million miles on a casing ....
Old 28 Dec 2012, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Now I always and learned it was the amount of the anti aging chemical introduced when the tire is manufactured that regulates how soon the inevitable sidewall cracking will start to show?
Any tire if exposed to the elements will show cracking over time. And strangely enough garage parked or infrequently used vehicle may have signs of cracking before a vehicle with the same tires driven more often.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Dec 2012, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

even found that using a lot of armor all seems to have a diffrent effect it seems to cause cracking ?? could just be me
Old 28 Dec 2012, 12:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I like the Cooper CS4's for my cars they seem to last and handle pretty well
Old 28 Dec 2012, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
even found that using a lot of armor all seems to have a diffrent effect it seems to cause cracking ?? could just be me
Armor All got a bad reputation in the early 80's for mainly the reason you spoke of. NASA has used it for over 40 years without concern. If you read the application guide it says to wipe the excess off. Many liked the "wet" "shinny" look and did not adhere to the guide. Because the product is largely water and water has reflective qualities anything that was left in excess may have caused materials to lose there flexible nature and dry prematurely then expected when exposed to sunlight? Because Armor All was the #1 product chosen for its pre-mentioned qualities then it would seem it would carry a street "myth" about it causing harm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
I like the Cooper CS4's for my cars they seem to last and handle pretty well
I had these once they were a very quiet road tire. The only thing was they seem to pick up all the tiny pebbles in the road all the time that needed picking out occasionally.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Dec 2012 at 01:18 pm.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Armor All got a bad reputation in the early 80's for mainly the reason you spoke of. NASA has used it for over 40 years without concern. If you read the application guide it says to wipe the excess off. Many liked the "wet" "shinny" look and did not adhere to the guide. Because the product is largely water and water has reflective qualities anything that was left in excess may have caused materials to lose there flexible nature and dry prematurely then expected when exposed to sunlight? Because Armor All was the #1 product chosen for its pre-mentioned qualities then it would seem it would carry a street "myth" about it causing harm?

I had these once they were a very quiet road tire. The only thing was they seem to pick up all the tiny pebbles in the road all the time that needed picking out occasionally.
You know they do i have a half mile long drive and they always seem to be fill of small rocks