Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2012, 07:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

So i went to go redo my passenger side lower front control arm today, Tore everything down per usual, front bolt, ball joint, pencil strut, support thingey, pinch bolt

But the rear mounting bolt was frozen, So i took a small torch to it and heated it up, cranked on it and heard the known "crack" of a stuck bolt coming free, Wrenched at it with my cheater bar for about 30 minutes and it became finger loose.

So i sat there for AN HOUR. trying to unscrew it.

However its just spinning in place. it will NOT come out. it will NOT go back in.

It Almost feels like there is a retaining nut on the other side of the bolt.

Problem is this bolt as you know goes up into the frame, a closed frame.

was Chrysler stupid enough to weld a bolt inside of a closed frame? And did this weld break? and most importantly am i screwed? Has anyone had this happen if so how did you fix it? CAN I FIX IT

Im deathly affraid to drive my car because the bolt is hanging 1/4 way out and just wobbling up and down and around in circles.

I dont believe the bolt is broken because it would still either fall out or turn out, but its just spinning in place. I took an air gun to it for 25 minutes and it just spun and spun, I've pried down on it with a prybar and tried to turn it and it just spins.

Someone please help me i have no idea what to do
Old 27 Dec 2012, 07:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

After searching some posts and doing some research i have figured out YES CHRYSLER IS THIS STUPID!.

Anyone know anywhere in Maine that will chop a hole in my floor for me? and how much is this gonna cost me to fix
Old 27 Dec 2012, 10:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's my understanding that they take a hole saw and drill a hole over the bolt to gain access to the nut. not sure if someone has detailed the procedure. In the future when removing a bolt and you get it to move and it tightens up as you remove. Just spray them with penetrating oil and run the bolt back in and then out till it starts to tighten again and do it all over again till you work it all the way out. This will avoid this problem most of the time. Sorry I couldn't be more help with your current problem.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Dec 2012, 10:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

i have read on this forum and over at the crew , that this had happened to some one about 4 yrs ago and he repaired it just like Busted_PT described. try searh on this forum or the search over at the crew
Old 28 Dec 2012, 03:57 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
It's my understanding that they take a hole saw and drill a hole over the bolt to gain access to the nut. not sure if someone has detailed the procedure. In the future when removing a bolt and you get it to move and it tightens up as you remove. Just spray them with penetrating oil and run the bolt back in and then out till it starts to tighten again and do it all over again till you work it all the way out. This will avoid this problem most of the time. Sorry I couldn't be more help with your current problem.
Yeah I was under the impression of 1. This bolt was going into a solid base, and 2. Chrysler wasn't that ignorant. So I assumed it was just a pain like most large bolts. Apparently I was very very very wrong. I can already hear the dealer saying something like $500-$700
Old 28 Dec 2012, 08:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
Yeah I was under the impression of 1. This bolt was going into a solid base, and 2. Chrysler wasn't that ignorant. So I assumed it was just a pain like most large bolts. Apparently I was very very very wrong. I can already hear the dealer saying something like $500-$700
Yuck, sorry. Good luck!
Old 28 Dec 2012, 01:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Talked to dealer , 3-6 hours labor :/ has anyone else done this? How long did it take?