PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wiring from Alternator to PCM makes the it run, WHY?...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fk5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2012, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Wiring from Alternator to PCM makes the it run, WHY?...

I brought Cruiser to get fixed, and since I don't know when (perhaps when someone previously replaced the alt or remote starter, both of which I had done) there has been a wire directly from the alternator to the PCM. When it is connected, all works (the PCM is now shot, btw, but getting fixed) and I'm wondering how an alternator can be diagnosed as "BAD" when it clearly works when it is "Frankensteined" with this wire. Without the wire, the battery drains and it dies within minutes.

Just wondering why I NEED a new alternator when clearly the pcm is bad, and replacing this might make the problem alright, when the alternator is properly ground?
And they tell me "The pcm has nothing to do with the alternator working"
me, "Ok, well then why cant you just replace the PCM and see how the alternator works after since it's a separate service?"
Them, "Oh no, if the bad alternator makes the PCM burn out, then what will YOU DOOO?"
me, "I'll deal with it, and replace the alt after if it needs it."
Them, "We won't do that. We can't install a new part with an old alternator"... HUH? I thought they weren't RELATED??? The dealership is denying to change the PCM without me allowing them to replace the alternator. Is this legal?

I really wish I were a mechanic! Thanks for any advice, I might still be able to change what they "fix" tomorrow since they have to wait for parts anyways. Best!

I hate to give too many details about my car for fear big brother is tapping me, so hopefully this can be generically calculated.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Wiring from Alternator to PCM makes the it run, WHY?...

2005, Turbo, PCM is still warrantied So, I had to remove this wire to get the new PCM (this wire thing is not my fault and i shouldn't have to suffer for it) HENCE of course car won't stay charged (without my little secret whatever-the-hell-happened-wire) SO thats how I know this alt has been working...
Like I said, everything runs and stays charged indefinitely with the wire (Battery light is on, but this wire has been there a good year from my calc's before the battery light came on in end of Aug). Car was off the road from Feb 2011 to May 2012, and wire had to have been put on before that.

Thanks!

Last edited by SilverSurfer05; 28 Dec 2012 at 06:33 pm. Reason: Wrong forum
Old 15 Feb 2017, 06:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer05 View Post
The dealership is denying to change the PCM without me allowing them to replace the alternator. Is this legal?
Yes. Your question suggests you are liberal. I used to own a dealership, and in situations EXACTLY like the one you are describing, not only did we require that a new alternator be put in. I won't get into the specifics of where exactly my dealership was, but I can assure you it was all entirely legal. When it was all said and done, more often than not, the customer left knowing that we made sure they were taken care of. I'm losing my train of thought. Oh ya, so I say just buy the whole lot of solar panels and call it a night. 500 watts at midnight is nothing to wag an eye at. Good luck Soldier. -911 4 Degaba

Last edited by CREWZIN; 15 Feb 2017 at 07:17 pm. Reason: Family forum
Old 15 Feb 2017, 07:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

We often explain this to people.. in this case, nobody did. . Funny a 5 year old thread got you to sign up just to vent.

How did you happen to stumble across this ol thread anyhow? Just curious.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 08:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
We often explain this to people.. in this case, nobody did. . Funny a 5 year old thread got you to sign up just to vent.

How did you happen to stumble across this ol thread anyhow? Just curious.
C'mon Rob, this thread is barely over four!
rob302 likes this.