Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Control Arm Rear mounting bolt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Dec 2012, 01:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Control Arm Rear mounting bolt?

So i believe i've found a welder who can cut this bolt out for me through the floorboard. Gonna cost me around $300.

Now i have a question for you tech guru's.

What is the exact size of the rear mounting bolt? With, Twist, Head size and length?

I ask because i will need to replace them once they are chopped out :-D

Also anyone know the best size nut to weld into the frame?

Thanks in advance :-D
Old 07 Jan 2013, 12:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Control Arm Rear mounting bolt?

You can order the bolts from dealer. I had to do the same (cut the bolts) and got new ones. Make sure you go to the dealer to look at the picture in front of them and tell them exactly which bolts you need. It will save you extra trips and extra days waiting for parts when they keep getting you the wrong bolts.

Also check with them to see if they have the nut the bolt threads into. Once you cut the bolt out, what is your plant for the nut where the bolt threads into?

The dealer sold me the wrong nut (the ones for the front bolt) and I had to improvise because I had to have my car back on the road by this morning. So I used a torch to heat and get that not off of the old rusty bolt and reused it. I had to fabricate some shims to wedge inside of the bolt holder place on the frame to make sure it did not spin when I went to put in the new bolt.

Good luck.
Old 07 Jan 2013, 02:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Control Arm Rear mounting bolt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRacerX View Post
You can order the bolts from dealer. I had to do the same (cut the bolts) and got new ones. Make sure you go to the dealer to look at the picture in front of them and tell them exactly which bolts you need. It will save you extra trips and extra days waiting for parts when they keep getting you the wrong bolts.

Also check with them to see if they have the nut the bolt threads into. Once you cut the bolt out, what is your plant for the nut where the bolt threads into?

The dealer sold me the wrong nut (the ones for the front bolt) and I had to improvise because I had to have my car back on the road by this morning. So I used a torch to heat and get that not off of the old rusty bolt and reused it. I had to fabricate some shims to wedge inside of the bolt holder place on the frame to make sure it did not spin when I went to put in the new bolt.

Good luck.
Turned out the dealer was skilled enough to remove the existing bolts without damaging them.

They did something uber cool however, wish i had gotten photos.

He machined a solid block of steel the exact shape of the frame interior, then chopped off the old shims, and drilled a nice hole straight through the steel blocks, then welded these steel blocks into the frame :-) ergo........it cannot break ever again haha the bolt is now no longer going into a retaining nut, but a solid steel body :-D.

Cost me $320.10 with tax and he even refused to torque the bolts back into place, he just hand tightened them so when i changed my arms, took no effort to remove them:-)

Im very happy with my local dealer and their lead tech, guy knows his stuff :-D