Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Best way to check tie rods & struts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2013, 10:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Best way to check tie rods & struts

You guys have been greast in answering all my previous questions. I've still got my 2007 NA Base model. It's got just over 85,000 miles now. I'm going to be doing my front brake pads again tomorrow, it's been about 40,000 miles since last time.

I figured that since I'll have the front tires off the ground, I might as well see if I can check the tie rods. I'm using a jack to raise it up, then placing a jack stand under the frame, this will raise just the one side front at a time. Not sure if you need both up to check them. Any explaination would be appreciated.

Also, what is the best way to check the condition of the front struts, visual or a physical method. Since I'll be under there, I should be able to get a good look.

Again thanks in advance.
Old 04 Jan 2013, 01:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Best way to check tie rods & struts

best way to check the outer tie rod end is by grabbing it right by the knuckle and pulling up and down. my left tie rod would go up and down 1/8" when i tried this, so i replaced it.
Old 04 Jan 2013, 01:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
You guys have been greast in answering all my previous questions. I've still got my 2007 NA Base model. It's got just over 85,000 miles now. I'm going to be doing my front brake pads again tomorrow, it's been about 40,000 miles since last time.

I figured that since I'll have the front tires off the ground, I might as well see if I can check the tie rods. I'm using a jack to raise it up, then placing a jack stand under the frame, this will raise just the one side front at a time. Not sure if you need both up to check them. Any explaination would be appreciated.

Also, what is the best way to check the condition of the front struts, visual or a physical method. Since I'll be under there, I should be able to get a good look.

Again thanks in advance.
To check these just walk up to the car, place both hands on the hood and bounce the car up and down, if it bounces more than once when you stop bouncing it, odds are the suspension is going bad.

Struts are easy to look at visually, check for leaking fluid, cracks, broken bits etc, if they look normal,they are normal , if they are pissing hydrolic fluid or are bent, cracked....they are junk :-)
Old 04 Jan 2013, 01:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks guys, I'll try these and see. Any other suggestions are definitely welcome.