PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tire recommendation question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2013, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tire recommendation question

Hi All,

I realize this question has probably been asked a zillion times, but looking for tire recommendations... with a slight twist. As I am in Cali, snow, ice and such is not a big issue here (although the Continentals DW look real nice!), but good overall performance and value is what I'm looking for. I have a 17 x 7.5 wheel, so probably 235 width... so 17 x 235/45 I suppose. I've had really good luck with Bridgestones Potenzas previously... and have been disappointed a few times with Michelins. Probably stay away from Khumos and Hankooks... what are you running? Whats been good or bad tirewise? Recommendations and suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks!

BDG
Old 04 Jan 2013, 06:25 pm
Banned

Default Re: Tire recommendation question

I have 235 40 18's on my gt, cont dws
Old 04 Jan 2013, 11:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't remember the size of mine, I did buy bigger tires and wheels, and went with Falken Ziex-912's first, then switched to Pirelli P6's. These are the best tires I've ever had on any car. They are great in all weather, they ride very nicely, handle way better than any others I've had, and so far are lasting really well. They are more expensive than a lot of others, but I figure they are worth it.

Old 05 Jan 2013, 03:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I 've been reading tons of reviews, I drove Michelins Primacy for 30.000 miles, I 've had Pirelli's P7 & P6000, Conti's SC5 & PC, Dunlops SP9000 (awfull tyres), Uniroyals RS2, Goodyear Hydraxer & Excellence and now I've put brandnew Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric on my car which cost me about $190 a piece. I 've done this because of the overal positive comments and the performance in rain, it rain a lot in Belgium.

So far they live up to expectations but are not better than the Michelins.
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 05 Jan 2013, 12:22 pm
Banned

You running Zr's chromey?

QUOTE=Chromenut;461390]I don't remember the size of mine, I did buy bigger tires and wheels, and went with Falken Ziex-912's first, then switched to Pirelli P6's. These are the best tires I've ever had on any car. They are great in all weather, they ride very nicely, handle way better than any others I've had, and so far are lasting really well. They are more expensive than a lot of others, but I figure they are worth it.

[/QUOTE]
Old 13 Mar 2013, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
You running Zr's chromey?
Nah, Pirelli P6's on MB Drifterz
Old 26 Mar 2013, 04:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi All,

Just a quick update on the tire search status...

I had shopped around quite a bit and ended up going with Bridgestone Grid G019 in 234/45 x 17. Purchased them from my local Firestone dealer (with a coupon!) but had looked at TireRack.com, Americas Tire, etc. and they ended up about $125.00 each, which includes mounting/balancing, taxes (WOW!!), disposal fees, etc. By far the best deal I could find!! I've had very good luck with Bridgestones previously so I was comfortable going for it.

And.. the they are GREAT! The handling is so much better (albeit with a +1 sizing) than the Goodyears. I would say they are slightly noisier, but the performance is really superior, they look very nice, too! Too early to comment on wear... gas mileage doesn't seem to be a difference either way. Since I'm in Cali not too concerned about snow/ice and such...

Highly recommended so far....

BDG
Old 27 Mar 2013, 04:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Tire loyalty borders on that for religion...
I have never been disappointed with Michelins, and the Good-for-a-Years, in my opinion, were overpriced, didn't last, and were lousy for handling.
Read my signature with my mods (Strut bar, lowered rear, rear sway bar), and the best handling improvement was when I replaced the Good-for-a-Years with Michelin Hydroedge tires....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Mar 2013, 06:34 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Don't over simplefy things

There were Goodyears on the 15" wheels when I bought the car. It were NCT5, awfull tires ! But the Eagle F1 I bought now are fantastic. I also drove two Goodyear Excellence and those were excellent

The stock Michelin Primacy that came on my Civic were great too, but I also had some Michelins that felt like driving on pillows.

What I want to say is: within the same brand you still have good and bad. Depends on usage and price paid. Don't expect a family tyre to perform as an high performance. The compound is created for it's task, so choose wisely and honestly.
Installed Mopar sub !