Advertisements
clunking in rear after spring install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2013, 04:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default clunking in rear after spring install

Hello! I recently installed ST springs and new KYB shocks
To people who lowered:
When you installed the rear springs, did you put the closer spaced coils at the top? And did you use the factory isolators? and also, did you follow any sort of protocol for seating the springs? The rear of my car makes a terrible clunking now, almost all the time, on rough roads, driveways, and speedbumps like something isn't right. I ordered a watts link but the one on the car has no play by hand, but im still replacing it as a first try.
Any help will be appreciated!

Old 08 Jan 2013, 05:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: clunking in rear after spring install

I answered your PM -
My hunch is you need to tighten up shock mounting - you unbolted shocks to drop the axle, right?
Also - check the bushing in the shock mount - that may have let go.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Jan 2013, 05:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The shocks are tight and torqued to spec... and they are brand new...

Old 08 Jan 2013, 05:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreGrub View Post
Hello! I recently installed ST springs and new KYB shocks
To people who lowered:
When you installed the rear springs, did you put the closer spaced coils at the top? And did you use the factory isolators? and also, did you follow any sort of protocol for seating the springs? The rear of my car makes a terrible clunking now, almost all the time, on rough roads, driveways, and speedbumps like something isn't right. I ordered a watts link but the one on the car has no play by hand, but im still replacing it as a first try.
Any help will be appreciated!
You can and at least should use the factory isolator. Personally I choose to install a polyurethane on my vehicle as well as customers when do a lower project.
For the aftermarket PT springs currently available there is no seating that needs to be done nor is one necessary with them. Generally speaking the smaller coil goes to the top. Although except on the front with struts it really does not make a difference had you installed them with the small coil at the bottom on the rear as long as it was properly secured.
If the bump stop was cut for the new clearance and you are sure that is not what you are hearing and you have no rear sway bar and the shocks are secure then you must look closer at the watt link assemble and not just the center but the long and short arms. Also loo carefully at the axle trailing arm bushings. Aside from all this IDK?

The only other and mind you this is reaching but try marking your rear springs and see if the are rotating there position?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Jan 2013, 08:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you use the car's jack? Could that be rattling?
Check your exhaust - all the hangers okay? Lay on a piece of cardboard and shove the exhaust up & Down and be sure it doesn't smack the rear axle.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Jan 2013, 09:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you check the spare tire. If you had that out to work on this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Jan 2013, 12:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The spare tie, jack, and Exhaust have all been Eliminated. I have A watts link coming and Aside From That i Dont know Where To Look. I do have A Swaybar, but bushings look good wnd there isnt much play in the system

Old 09 Jan 2013, 03:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Then you will have to let us know what cures it......
Old 09 Jan 2013, 04:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Just a thought. My PT is not lowered but I read something the other day that made me think about this. Did you use a shorter shock or did you use the stock length? If you used the stock length is it possible that they are over extending and allowing the springs to bounce in their pockets. Again, it was just a thought.
Old 09 Jan 2013, 04:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Just a thought. My PT is not lowered but I read something the other day that made me think about this. Did you use a shorter shock or did you use the stock length? If you used the stock length is it possible that they are over extending and allowing the springs to bounce in their pockets. Again, it was just a thought.
A good thought Ray_Dockrey!

The springs used 1-1.5 inches lower unless they are SS (super slammers) would have little effect on the normal operation travel of a stock or stock replacement shock. We often change out shocks with different extend and/or collapsed length when doing a custom suspension lowering to compensate for more then about 2 inches or more of reduced travel. The op used KYB shocks and either the GR2 or the stouter Gas-adjust have several gas and fluid restrictor disc's in the main shock body to slow the piston down in its action. So even in the unlikely event if the incorrect KYB shock were mounted it would not cause a clunking in most scenarios with the suspension on a PT.

I would say to get inside the rear area and have a friend or to manipulate the suspension aggressively in order to re-create the clunk and see exactly where it is coming from?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 09 Jan 2013 at 04:53 pm.