Advertisements
Frustration setting in

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Teska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Feb 2013, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Frustration setting in

Early last month I hit a pothole ever since then I have been paying out the butt for repairs. $100 tie rods both driver and passenger sides.
$130 for tires
$270 for CV axle
$380 for a complete set of new tires...

Now I have 2 leaks valve cover gaskets estimate $200. The other leak is the transmission side pan estimate unknown right now.

I keep telling myself its cheaper to repair it then replace it.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 07:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Frustration setting in

Please move to wheels, tires and suspension
Old 19 Feb 2013, 02:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

This many damage for a pothole ?
Was it a canyon ?
rob342 likes this.
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 19 Feb 2013, 09:04 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris70 View Post
Early last month I hit a pothole ever since then I have been paying out the butt for repairs. $100 tie rods both driver and passenger sides.
$130 for tires
$270 for CV axle
$380 for a complete set of new tires...

Now I have 2 leaks valve cover gaskets estimate $200. The other leak is the transmission side pan estimate unknown right now.

I keep telling myself its cheaper to repair it then replace it.
you spent $100 for 2 $12 tierods and $270 for a $60 axle. now you're debating spending $200 to change a $40 gasket. if i spent $570 to have $125 worth of parts installed i'd be frustrated too.

can you do any of the work yourself? you could be saving tons. i put a tierod on my mothers caravan last week and i spent more time checking the fluids and air pressure than changing the part. literally took under 10 minutes. the CV you had changed was a big nut and the little nut on the balljoint. that's also a 10 minute job. the valvecover is easy work if you take your time. the 160 you save could easily make up for a little swearing.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 11:09 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
you spent $100 for 2 $12 tierods and $270 for a $60 axle. now you're debating spending $200 to change a $40 gasket. if i spent $570 to have $125 worth of parts installed i'd be frustrated too.

can you do any of the work yourself? you could be saving tons. i put a tierod on my mothers caravan last week and i spent more time checking the fluids and air pressure than changing the part. literally took under 10 minutes. the CV you had changed was a big nut and the little nut on the balljoint. that's also a 10 minute job. the valvecover is easy work if you take your time. the 160 you save could easily make up for a little swearing.
Ditto to this ^^^. If you have any mechanical sense at all, you could easily fix those things yourself. I just did my cv axle this weekend and it took literally 15 minutes, and that was only because I was being really careful.

Do the transmission pan yourself if you can. $40 (about) for a new pan (also replace the filter ($15-ish) while you're at it), some ATF+4 trans fluid (about $6/qt), and an hour or two and you can save yourself big money. I bought a pan and filter myself last week but haven't done it yet. I got tired of paying a shop $60/hr labor and 15% markup on parts when I can do it myself for the cost of a few Advil/beers.

Oh, and valve cover gaskets, especially if you have a non-turbo, are really easy as well. I did mine last year and I believe the parts were about $20, and it took about 30 minutes.... I'd offer to assist if you didn't live 9 hours away.

This forum is a wealth of DIY knowledge.
White '03 GT. Mine since 2010. DIY work (read, budget): DIY cabin air filter, ball joint/control arm bushings/wheel bearing replacement, CV axle replacement, brakes, struts, K&N drop-in filter, oil pressure sensor replacement, Spark plug gasket replacement.

"But I don't want to go among mad people! Alice remarked. Oh you can't help that, said the cat, We're all mad here. You're mad, I'm mad. How do you know I'm mad? asked Alice. You have to be, or you wouldn't have come here, replied the cat."

Last edited by Gremlin; 19 Feb 2013 at 11:12 am.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 01:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Here's an update.. Turned out no transmission leak. The shop that did the CV axle messed something up. I called them and they know the car will be there in the morning.