PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question for you all on rear anti-sway bar kits

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2013, 06:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Question for you all on rear anti-sway bar kits

Hi all, I've blown the rear end out and need to install a new sway bar kit. I've seen so many types out there that I just don't know which one I should get. So, here's my details, and for those of you with suggestions and/or advice, please note these:
  • 2006 PT GT Convertible
  • Custom H&R Lowering Springs (2.5" rear, 2.25" front)
  • Tokico Blues shocks & struts
  • Strut tower brace

Now, as many of you know, the GT's and the verts have a need for heavier anti-sway bars. My front stock sway bar is tough and I'm not touching it, other than changing out the rubber grommets and pads. The rears, well, will need the dog-leg mounts and the anti-sway bar kit. The one's that appear to be the most used out there are NOT as thick as some others, meaning I'm likely to wear them out just like the one's I destroyed on her. So, if any of you have suggestions and/or advice on a really good set, let me know!

Thank you all in advance for your kind support!!!
Old 13 Mar 2013, 07:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Question for you all on rear anti-sway bar kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Hi all, I've blown the rear end out and need to install a new sway bar kit. I've seen so many types out there that I just don't know which one I should get. So, here's my details, and for those of you with suggestions and/or advice, please note these:
  • 2006 PT GT Convertible
  • Custom H&R Lowering Springs (2.5" rear, 2.25" front)
  • Tokico Blues shocks & struts
  • Strut tower brace

Now, as many of you know, the GT's and the verts have a need for heavier anti-sway bars. My front stock sway bar is tough and I'm not touching it, other than changing out the rubber grommets and pads. The rears, well, will need the dog-leg mounts and the anti-sway bar kit. The one's that appear to be the most used out there are NOT as thick as some others, meaning I'm likely to wear them out just like the one's I destroyed on her. So, if any of you have suggestions and/or advice on a really good set, let me know!

Thank you all in advance for your kind support!!!
Not really any real meaty rear sway bars out there for any model PT Cruiser. I run and would say for you to get the Eibach.
I have purchased 4 of these in the last 7 months. This supplier has the least expensive that I found anywhere.

Eibach ANTI-ROLL Single Sway Bar Kit (Rear Sway Bar Only) Part #2860.312
Eibach Anti Roll Single Sway Bar Kit Rear Sway Bar Only Part 2860 312 | eBay

Remember that if you do not already have a rear sway bar you will need to get an installation kit. This can be from any source even MOPAR. But I would also recommend getting the Eibach kit as well if you get the Eibach rrear sway bar.

Busted_PT likes this.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 08:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Not really any real meaty rear sway bars out there for any model PT Cruiser. I run and would say for you to get the Eibach.
I have purchased 4 of these in the last 7 months. This supplier has the least expensive that I found anywhere.

Eibach ANTI-ROLL Single Sway Bar Kit (Rear Sway Bar Only) Part #2860.312
Eibach Anti Roll Single Sway Bar Kit Rear Sway Bar Only Part 2860 312 | eBay

Remember that if you do not already have a rear sway bar you will need to get an installation kit. This can be from any source even MOPAR. But I would also recommend getting the Eibach kit as well if you get the Eibach rrear sway bar.

I was just going to recommend you on this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Mar 2013, 05:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Guess I should have mentioned, it was the Eibach's that I tore apart. They just weren't strong enough to handle a madman driver like me...lol...

Here's what it looked like when we had it off, prior to changing the rear shocks:

And here's the after shot...ugh:
Old 16 Mar 2013, 09:18 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: Question for you all on rear anti-sway bar kits

Eibach-

I ride slow and low, so no blow outs for me.

It is there in case I get a bit childish and drive crazy, doesnt happen much though

PTJunkie likes this.
Old 16 Mar 2013, 09:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Strength is not the issue in that picture.
Contact Eibach show them the picture. They may even be good enough to replace it for you after you correct your chassis problem!
I believe I read somewhere that your current suspension will lift a tire under steering and that you have special rated springs? If this is correct then I can tell you that your suspension is badly set up. Although to you it may feel like a slot car around turns you would be all over a real track if you tried to push it. The pictured sway bar simply confirms this. I am sure that you are using either stock end links or aftermarket both of which should have been completely destroyed before the sway bar bent as pictured. the exception under some conditions is they were special solid larger end links with spherical rod ends instead of any polyurethane or rubber.
I know this nothing that you want to hear!

So how hard and how long did you go into the turn with your PT on 3 wheels......LOL ??
Old 16 Mar 2013, 09:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Eibach-

I ride slow and low, so no blow outs for me.

It is there in case I get a bit childish and drive crazy, doesnt happen much though

OMG a NEW picture of your PT

It even looks totally "phat" dude !

Last edited by NitroPT; 16 Mar 2013 at 09:31 pm.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Actually spun and hit the left rear wheel on a 10" curb. Gee, I think that bent the sway bar, along with everything else on the left rear side.....lol...
rob342 likes this.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 03:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Guess I should have mentioned, it was the Eibach's that I tore apart. They just weren't strong enough to handle a madman driver like me...lol...

Here's what it looked like when we had it off, prior to changing the rear shocks:

And here's the after shot...ugh:
Quote:
Actually spun and hit the left rear wheel on a 10" curb. Gee, I think that bent the sway bar, along with everything else on the left rear side.....lol...
Now we get the real story. Might get one for the front and make it fit lol. But with that kind of driving the bar manufacture not really going to help.
Chromenut likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 17 Mar 2013 at 03:34 pm.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 05:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
And you think a fatter sway bar would help??? Stop braille driving!
Chromenut and NitroPT like this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles