Advertisements
Weird noise, right front

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pt06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2013, 03:27 am
Young Cruiser

Default Weird noise, right front

I just bought my 2005 GT PT Cruiser a few days ago, and after a day I noticed that when I go over bumps or uneven road surfaces, I hear a clanking sound from the right front like something is loose. I had the vehicle inspected and the person said he seen nothing wrong in that area, nothing loose. Bushings were old, but not cracked so they passed. Any idea what this could be? We had an 07 Caliber that sounded the same way and it cost us $1,500.00. Also my driving lights and reverse lights don't work. Dealer said it was Delaware inspected, but don't see how if lights don't work. Thanks.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 07:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Weird noise, right front

Let the dealer deal with the driving (fog) and reverse lights. He shouldn't have sold it that way. Hopefully it wasn't a "As Is" type of sale so as soon as you drive off the lot, it's yours.

The clunking could be a number of things. If you don't have the tools to get under there and take a really good look, there are a number of places that will do a free inspection hoping to sell you parts and labor to fix whatever is wrong but you don't have to buy anything. Most of the muffler and tires shops will do this kind of inspection.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 08:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You can see the the the rear control arm bushing from behind the front tire. Turn the tire to the left and take a pic of the suspension on the right. so we can see that bushing. Also the sway bar mounting bushings and the end links can cause these noises.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Mar 2013, 11:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks guys, Crewzin, yes it was "As Is", but I needed a vehicle quick and it was Delaware inspected. They said they are going to fix the lights, because even as easy as Delware inspection is, the lights have to work to pass. Supposedly they had a switch ordered and it was on back order for the driving and reverse lights. As far as the noise, I had it Maryland inspected and brought this up to them. They said they could not find anything wrong, nothing loose, just the bushings were old, but not cracked so they passed. But it does need new front rotors to pass inspection, brakes are brand new, they didn't change rotors though.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 11:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It could be top strut mounts.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I had that same noise on my 07 Caliber. it was the sway bar bushing.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Check these things.

Ball joint

Control arm bushings

Sway bar bushings

Sway bar links *bushings and links should be checked with the vehicle lifted or on jackstands so it takes the pressure off*

Tie rods.

Shock/Strut mounts and mounting bolts.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 12:04 am
Young Cruiser

Needmore toys, I had the same noise on my 07 caliber and they had to replace the whole front end almost, 1,500.00 later, don't want to have to do that again.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 12:10 am
Young Cruiser

Finally the lights are fixed, and the 3 times I have been up there the dealer says they can't hear the noise, and today the tech says well I can't hear anything because of the rain so bring it back on a dry day. WTH, as soon as I leave there parking lot I hear ot going onto the road. Funny thing is I told them I know I will have to have it fixed and pay for it, I just want to know what it is. Am I being an ass or just paranoid?
Old 26 Mar 2013, 07:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Do as Busted said. There are excellent pictures on this site which show a bad bushing vs a good bushing. Easy to tell the difference.
Busted_PT likes this.