Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
knock knock. who's there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2013, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default knock knock. who's there?

hey guys and gals. as I posted before, ive had my pt for a little under a year and ran into host of issues over time in part due to previous owner (a kid) and in part to myself as my pt is my daily driver for myself and my ol lady. the most annoying one is when im driving and just slightly turn the wheel towards the left I get a clunking/knocking sound . return the wheel back to straight, it goes away. and it only does it towards the left at a certain degree, if I turn the wheel all the way to left nothing, just slightly. anyone experiencing same or similar problems, any info is greatly appreciated
Old 17 Mar 2013, 12:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: knock knock. who's there?

From what I can find after doing a search, your CV joint is the most likely cause of the noise.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hey crewzin. that's what I thought too so I removed the wheel and got under there and just gave it a visual once over and felt around with my hands and didn't find anything the first time around. is there an easier way to check it out besides getting down and dirty and removing it? its cold as hell up here in Kentucky, the less time I spend outside the better lol
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
From what I can find after doing a search, your CV joint is the most likely cause of the noise.
Agree 199%.

What happens is eventually the CV boot will crack, which will let moisture, debris etc into the CV joint.

CV joint is packed with axle grease to keep it lubricated. When it gets gunked up the lubrication fails, causing harsh metal to metal contact.

Thus causing a clacking noise when you turn in the direction of the bad joint. Usually gets worse under acceleration.

Sounds like its time for a replacement :-D
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddeb11 View Post
hey crewzin. that's what I thought too so I removed the wheel and got under there and just gave it a visual once over and felt around with my hands and didn't find anything the first time around. is there an easier way to check it out besides getting down and dirty and removing it? its cold as hell up here in Kentucky, the less time I spend outside the better lol
yep. Turn in that direction and accelerate. if the clunking gets BAD. its toast.

Then turn in the opposite direction and accelerate . if the clunking disappears, thats sign #2 that it needs to be replaced :-D

The CV boot itself is sealed usually with either clamps or just fused. If its NOT the CV joint and you remove the boot you can get debris inside and damage the joint, so removing the boot itself is not advised.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 01:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

dang.....another job. well im gonna have to take a crack at it when it gets warm. any tips on what exactly am I looking for or better yet how to remove it?
Old 18 Mar 2013, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here ya go:

How to Remove CV Joints in a PT Cruiser | eHow.com
Old 18 Mar 2013, 03:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

The best tip I can give you is to replace with the correct half axle parts. Because of the different widths and types of transmissions, the turbos are different than the non-turbos and the manuals are different than the automatics. Then you have left side, right side. For some models, axle parts are getting hard to find. I have seen a ton of posts about "remanufactured" axles being crap right out of the box and often mislabled. Owners seem to have better luck with junk yard, salvage axles...... but again, get the correct one.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 02:00 pm
Young Cruiser

I wonder if I have the same problem. Every time I make a hard turn (meaning turn the wheels all the way to the left or right) I hear a clunk (or some sort of grinding noise). Its not a pretty sounding sound...makes me feel like I am breaking it.I'll have to get the CV joints checked.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 05:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace View Post
I wonder if I have the same problem. Every time I make a hard turn (meaning turn the wheels all the way to the left or right) I hear a clunk (or some sort of grinding noise). Its not a pretty sounding sound...makes me feel like I am breaking it.I'll have to get the CV joints checked.
have the steering knuckle checked too.

CV joints will pop and click only in one direction *the bad side* and they do it all the way through.

Steering knuckles will pop under stress *turned all the way*