Advertisements
01 Cruiser Knocking Sound??

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Mar 2013, 08:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 Cruiser Knocking Sound??

Hi there folks, hope I'm in the right thread.... I'm new to this.

I have a 2001 Limited Edition Cruiser that i recently purchased from a friend. It is in pretty fair condition with 144k on it.

The only thing is whenever I first brake, and first accelerate I can hear and feel a loud metallic clank that seems to come from the front driver side. Also the same noise can be heard whenever i hit a pothole with the front driver side wheel. In the process of trying to diagnose the mystery noise I noticed the upper front motor mount and lower front motor mount were shot so I replaced them. Still have the "clank." Checking CV axle now but all the boots are intact and seem fine.

If anyone has any idea what it might be or has had similar problems, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Cheers
Old 20 Mar 2013, 09:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 Cruiser Knocking Sound??

Check to see if the lower control arm rear bushing is bad. The arm can bang on the k frame. Also check sway bar.
rob342 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Mar 2013, 09:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your mechanical, take off the front wheel and check around for a brake part that may be loose and look at the caliper mounting bolts/hardware. Also might be a brake pad which is loose and therefore allowed movement inside the caliper.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 09:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Im willing to put my money on the swaybar bushing or swaybar links.

I had the same issue, i replaced $1,300 in parts and still had it. then i replaced the $8 swaybar bushing and it disappeared
Old 21 Mar 2013, 08:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

Mine went away when I put new control arms and sway bar end links on
Old 22 Mar 2013, 07:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi there thanks for all the replies, I wish i had read this earlier.

I replaced the brake the pads and pulled CV and had it checked.

Cv was fine but we noticed the lower ball joint was pretty shot and also the outer tie rod end.

Replaced both and still have the same noise. I had read horror stories of the bolt on the A-arm stripping and that you had to cut a hole in the floorboard to put a socket on it. So I only replaced ball joint.

I can stand on the running board and rock it pretty heavily from side to side and hear nothing. But if i put it in park and we rock it forwards and backwards hard enough it will make the same loud noise...

Also if i put my foot on the brake then accelerate (brake torque) it doesn't do it.

Guess I'll try the sway bar link next. Also maybe I could get just the control arm bushing instead of the whole arm, being that I just put a new ball joint in mine?

Thank you very much for all your input!
Old 22 Mar 2013, 11:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

You're lucky! You can duplicate the noise. Have a helper rock the car and use a stethoscope [without the round thingie] or a piece of hose stuck near your ear to locate the noise. Motor mounts or suspension first.

While stethoscopes can be quite sensitive, none have yet been invented that can hear Dick Cheney's heart.

Tags
clank, cv joint