PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Do I need new tires...original tires (57,000 Miles)

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2013, 03:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Do I need new tires...original tires (57,000 Miles)

I just bought a 2004 pt and I believe it still has the original tires (goodyears). The car only has 57,000 miles but there is still a good amount of tread on them....although there is some dry rotting. My question is...do I need new tires just because they are old (04) with some minor dry rotting or are they probably ok?
Old 26 Mar 2013, 03:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Do I need new tires...original tires (57,000 Miles)

If they have dry rot on them then I would replace them. Your life is worth a whole lot more and you definitely got your money's worth out of them.
shelbyzman likes this.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 04:02 pm
Banned

Question Re: Do I need new tires...original tires (57,000 Miles)

57k with plenty of tread on original tires?
Old 26 Mar 2013, 04:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have no way of knowing if they are original or not, but they are the goodyears and have dry rot. They don't tread like a new tire but they still probably have another 10,000-15,000 miles left on them if they dry rot doesn't mess them up.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 04:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
If they have dry rot on them then I would replace them. Your life is worth a whole lot more and you definitely got your money's worth out of them.
I want to upgrade the wheels (16") too....of course that will be more $$$ than just getting tires
Old 27 Mar 2013, 04:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
I want to upgrade the wheels (16") too....of course that will be more $$$ than just getting tires
Got to Tire Rack and get a wheel/tire package - I got new alloys, Michelin tires, new lug nuts - all at my door for under $900, then there was a $70 Michelin debit card rebate - just bolted them on - they were balanced perfectly. Mine were 16", too.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Mar 2013, 06:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

There always a DOT number on a tire, is has 4 digits: for example 2304 which means manufactured in the 23rd week of 2004. Look for that and you 'll know if they are stock.

And I would keep driving on them, on an earlier car I 've had two tyres for 10 years (85000 miles) before I changed them.
shelbyzman likes this.
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 27 Mar 2013, 07:17 am
Senior Cruiser

I wanted to do the same as you as mine had 15". I was able to find a set of the chrome alloy 16" wheels on Craigslist that came off of a 2001 or 2002 for $100. They had been setting in the guys garage forever and he traded in the car and decided to get rid of the wheels.

Just make sure if you go that route that you inspect them real close for corrosion and peeling chrome. The stock alloy's had issues with that especially in northern states.
shelbyzman likes this.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 08:14 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
I just bought a 2004 pt and I believe it still has the original tires (goodyears). The car only has 57,000 miles but there is still a good amount of tread on them....although there is some dry rotting. My question is...do I need new tires just because they are old (04) with some minor dry rotting or are they probably ok?
If you go to any RV forum they stress over and over that tires only last a certain amount of time before they become unsafe. I'm pretty sure the age quoted is years. So going by that you're way beyond the safe life of the tires.

The fact that you have dry rotting only makes things worse.

In simple terms no you're not ok. And you SHOULD replace them.

Now folks can argue that if you only drive the car in the city and NEVER go on the highway you COULD squeeze some more use out of them. But that wouldn't be wise.

My own opinion is replace the tires as soon as you can. Better yet, replace them TODAY and be safe and don't think about it. If you don't best case is you get some more use out of them and nothing bad happens. Worse case is you go out on the highway, one blows, you spin out of control into a tractor trailer and cause a massive wreck and many people get killed because you didn't change tires that are dry rotted. The reality is we don't know if they're going to be ok and not fail or if they will the next time you go out. Worse, you're now aware that they should be replaced so if you do cause an accident and if someone is injured or killed an ambulance chaser could go after you personally, your insurance could deny coverage and you have really serious problems.

To me it's just not worth it.

(BTW, the opinions are simply my OPINIONS, I'm not a lawyer, MD, or other "expert" so flow my advice at your own risk).
Old 27 Mar 2013, 08:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Got to Tire Rack and get a wheel/tire package - I got new alloys, Michelin tires, new lug nuts - all at my door for under $900, then there was a $70 Michelin debit card rebate - just bolted them on - they were balanced perfectly. Mine were 16", too.
thanks for the tip....I checked tire rand and discount tire direct. Found a set for around $750 on dtd.