Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Odd Treadwear ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2013, 06:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Odd Treadwear ?

Okay. So i need a front alignment. I know this.

However im not sure my front end alignment is causing the strange treadwear i am having.

You see i put new tires on the front end last march.

While walking out to my car today i noticed a bald spot. Thats right a spot.

The rest of the tire is worn evenly all the way around. Except on the outer edge there is a 3 inch long by two inch wide spot where the tread is almost gone.....

Now if my alignment were the cause i would expect to see that type of wear all the way around the outer edge correct?

Am I correct in believing that this SHOULD be a tire warranty issue, cars only gone 4k miles since i had them put on

Any advice would be helpful
Old 28 Mar 2013, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Odd Treadwear ?

Anyone else drive the car? It almost sounds like and emergency braking procedure was done (without ABS) and a flat spot was the result. Never heard of an alignment issue that would cause only one spot to ware.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 06:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Anyone else drive the car? It almost sounds like and emergency braking procedure was done (without ABS) and a flat spot was the result. Never heard of an alignment issue that would cause only one spot to ware.
Thats the funny part. a Ebrake hold is impossible. This is happening on the front passenger wheel :/ 15 years working on cars i've never seen this before.

even on a severely unbalanced tire.

Last edited by pluminator; 28 Mar 2013 at 06:30 pm.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 06:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What I meant by Emergency Braking Procedure was that the tire skidded for 15-30 feet because of hard braking to avoid a crash. As I said in () that would only happen without ABS.

Does it look worn away or maybe somebody cut a chunk out of the tire ????
Old 28 Mar 2013, 06:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
What I meant by Emergency Braking Procedure was that the tire skidded for 15-30 feet because of hard braking to avoid a crash. As I said in () that would only happen without ABS.

Does it look worn away or maybe somebody cut a chunk out of the tire ????
Nope no hard braking, both pads are evenly worn, caliper isnt sticking on one side either.

It looks as if its tire wear, almost down to the threads but only in a single 3x2 spot. No chopping very evenly worn down but only in one place. like if i run my hand along the rim its 100% even, then it dips in then back out to normal. Like a inverted bubble of wear. Which to me is highly odd.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 07:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Receipt and pic to the manufacturer. I had a sidewall bulge on a Toyo and with a nicely worded email they replaced all $245 worth of it.
And thats a sidewall that could have been a curb hit for all they knew . I say it's worth it.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 07:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
Receipt and pic to the manufacturer. I had a sidewall bulge on a Toyo and with a nicely worded email they replaced all $245 worth of it.
And thats a sidewall that could have been a curb hit for all they knew . I say it's worth it.
Im gonna take it back to VIP where i bought the tires tomorrow. I just went outside and the drivers side has the same spot in a different location. So i think its a batch defect. If they wont replace them both ill contact the manufacturer and make sure they replace them. I've never seen anything like this before.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 02:08 am
Veteran Cruiser

Severe toe will cause uneven wear, but what you're describing is severe-
You're saying it's not only on outer edge but goes in toward middle of face?

If you pull your palm along face (lets say lay hand on top tire and slide out) do you feel sharp edges you don't when pushing in?