Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Akebono Ceramic Pads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2004, 07:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Akebono Ceramic Pads

I will be doing rotor and pad replacements in May on my '01 and wanted feedback on these ceramic pads. They are only made for the front (P# ACT841), but the company powdercoats the backing plate for improved vibration resistance... and good looks. They are also reasonable in price ($66 at rockauto.com) and claim to be rotor friendly. These pads can be found at http://www.akebonobrakes.com/afterma...ads/index.html and are also known as the ProACT brand.

The PT takes 841 front pads and 759 on the rear. I will need suggestions on rear P#s for other brands. I want to give ProACT a try. They will be mated with black-plated, drilled and slotted rotors from Japan.

MX-5: You have mentioned NAPA ceramics, but they are $88 and they too do not have an accompanying backend pad set. What do you recommend for the rear? I'm aware the rear brakes only do about 30% of the braking, so are ceramics still the best choice there?

I also see many folks have the Wagner MX-841 ThermoQuiet (not ceramic, but has matching MX-759 rear pads) and Raybestos QuietStop PGD841QS (front only). While quiet operation, dusting & rotor wear are all issues, what about recovery time when you "get on them"? I don't think I need a Hawk or EBC or Axxis pad at this point, however I will be doing some more intense braking from time to time.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 10:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Out of over a dozen PT brake jobs in the last 6 months, only one rear pad set was installed. It was only because the owner requested it. They were not worn.
I've not yet seen rear pads needing replaced.

The NAPA top-line pad for the rar is AE-7438DM @ $36 retail.

I doubt if anyone will make a ceramic rear pad set.

All the brake pad numbers from several manufacturers is listed in a nice chart at www.ptdiy.net

Old 11 Mar 2004, 02:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your call, but I went with Raybestos because I feel they have "been around" and are good, and I'm pleased. I got my Raybestos ceramic pads for about what you're going to pay (PartsAmerica.Com). Have you heard of these (other than their sales pitch)?

Call me silly, but I don't experiment with tires or brakes - I find a good brand (Michelin, Raybestos) and stick with it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Mar 2004, 02:55 am
Cool Cruiser

I went with Raybesto's also and I'm very happy with them.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 11:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Help!

I can't find any Raybestos ceramic brake pads on the PartsAmerica.com site. This site only lists the PGD841M semi-metallic Raybestos pad for the GT Cruiser. Can someone help me with a part number and/or a recommended supplier web address/phone number?

I am looking for the most dust free pads possible for a 2003 GT Cruiser (front and rear pads). I have previously had good luck with the Axxis Deluxe or Axxis MetalMaster pads, but their new formulation for the Cruiser still generates a fair amount of brake dust on my chrome wheels. Axxis also does not make anything to fit the rear of the GT Cruiser.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 12:37 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If you have a GT, you are currently out of luck. To the best of my knowledge, no one makes a ceramic brake pad for the GT.

The ceramics that everyone discusses are ONLY for the non-GT.

EBC Greenstuff is one of the few aftermarket brake pads for the stock GT calipers. They are not ceramic but are supposed to be better than the stock pads with less dust. http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...=perf&x=62&y=5

They have pads for front and back but they only have rotors for the front.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Michael,

Thanks for the information on the EBC pads. Does anyone have experience with the EBC Greens on the GT -or- the regular Cruiser? I think I remember some web complaints about EBC Greens not being very good with respect to reducing brake dust, but maybe they are better than the stock pads.

From some auto parts web sites, the Akebono ceramic pads are shown as working on the front of the GT. Is this information correct or not? Does anyone have experience with the Akebono pads on the GT?

Sorry to have so many questions, but I am tired of cleaning brake dust!!

thanks,

Steve

Old 23 Mar 2004, 03:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Something is fishy here. The Akebono website shows the GT using the same brake pad as the normal aspirated PT (ACT841). This just isn't so.

Their website also shows that SRT-4 uses the same brake pad as the regular Neon ACT730A), which isn't true either. It is my understanding that the GT and the SRT-4 use the same brake pads but they don't match any of the other PT's or Neon's.

MX-5 has indicated that he is unaware of anyone making ceramic brake pads that fit the GT and he was instrumental in getting the ceramic brake pads for the regular PT to market.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Michael,

Thanks for your quick response. I have also noticed that several web sites list the Wagner MX841 front pads for both the PT and the GT cruiser. That doesn't seem right, either.

I called Rock Auto and ordered the Akebono pads for a 2003 GT Cruiser. They said they have the same Akebono part number for both the turbo and non-turbo cars. I told the Rock Auto sales person that I thought this was a mistake, too. They are going to check on the GT application with Akebono prior to shipping the pads. Cost for the ceramic front pads was $65.79 with $8.08 shipping to San Diego. I have my fingers crossed on this one and will report back to the forum.

Steve
Old 23 Mar 2004, 11:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Looks like a typo because ProACT (which is Akebono) is listing the same P# for different brakes:

Turbo

NA

Playing around with rockauto.com reveals that while the rear pad #759 is shared with the NA, Turbo PT & Neon, the Neon SRT-4 has a "730" front pad as MichaelDay has already pointed out. Is the GT pad a 730?

To get this figured out, looks like we need an "insider" who can lookup DC part#s on the factory parts computer noting the caliper, pad & rotor interchangability.

And while you're at it, would you also check if NA front rotors and calipers bolt-on to the Turbo? You might be better off with NA binders since the aftermarket upgrades (including Wilwoods) are more readily available. What a bunch of screwing around [xx(]