Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front Sway Bar Diameter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2013, 11:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Front Sway Bar Diameter

Can anyone tell me what the stock diameter is for the front swaybar on a 2002 PT Touring Edition? I'm planning on getting new endlinks and would like to do the bushings at the same time. O'Reilly's lists two different diameters available 24mm and 26mm.

The ground here is too wet to get underneath and measure the bar diameter. I just thought some one would happen to know.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 21 Apr 2013, 08:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front Sway Bar Diameter

It's been asked before.......

Front sway bar size (diameter)?
Old 21 Apr 2013, 10:39 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks, Carey. I must've missed that post.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've been told that the convertibles are at 26mm... guess I'll find where my measurer is and go measure...lol

Edit - okay, just measured mine, '06 GT vert, mine is 26mm.

Last edited by Chromenut; 21 Apr 2013 at 03:58 pm.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 05:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My 05 GT front is 25.98mm measured in 4 places, so I guess we will say 26mm.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Apr 2013, 10:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just got my PT back from the shop. I had the front lower torque strut replaced as well as the two center swaybar to frame bushings and the Watts link replaced. Holy crap...what a difference in how the car rides/sounds. It used to sound like I had a wooden box of rocks strapped to the front end when I went over bumps or train tracks. All of that is gone now!!!

When I ordered my Watts link, I ordered a Watts link bushing kit from Energy Suspension thinking it was also needed, which contained two large rubber bushings as well as two tubular metal inserts. My garage said that they didn't need them, and didn't even know where they go. Can anyone tell me if these are needed? Are they for the outboard end of the suspension pieces that connect to the Watts link? I haven't had a chance to lay underneath the vehicle and have a look yet.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 10:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscanlan View Post
Just got my PT back from the shop. I had the front lower torque strut replaced as well as the two center swaybar to frame bushings and the Watts link replaced. Holy crap...what a difference in how the car rides/sounds. It used to sound like I had a wooden box of rocks strapped to the front end when I went over bumps or train tracks. All of that is gone now!!!

When I ordered my Watts link, I ordered a Watts link bushing kit from Energy Suspension thinking it was also needed, which contained two large rubber bushings as well as two tubular metal inserts. My garage said that they didn't need them, and didn't even know where they go. Can anyone tell me if these are needed? Are they for the outboard end of the suspension pieces that connect to the Watts link? I haven't had a chance to lay underneath the vehicle and have a look yet.
Uh yeah....those would be bushings that connect the wattslink to the stabilizer bars..........i think you need to go back to the mechanic and tell him to install it correctly......

Sounds like he shoved the wattslink onto the old hardware :/

Last edited by pluminator; 26 Apr 2013 at 10:09 pm.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 12:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Apr 2013, 12:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

NitroPT,
In looking at the picture that you posted, I've got a couple of questions. First, it appears that these bushings go over the threaded stud coming out of the ball end of each of the Watts links, between them and the Bellcrank, correct? What about the metal sleeves that I got with the Energy Suspension bushing kit? Do they go over these threaded studs as they pass thru the Bellcrank? I looked at the PT Repair manual that I downloaded from this website as well as the 2002 parts manual, and neither actually clearly shows (or identifies) these bushings, or the metal sleeves for that matter.

If you could clarify these points for me, I'd really appreciate it. Then I can go back to the guy that did the work on my PT and explain it to him.

Thanks, Steve