PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How much difference does adding rear sway bar make?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2013, 03:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default How much difference does adding rear sway bar make?

I have a 04 Pt and was wondering how much better my pt would corner (less body lean) if I added the rear sway bar off an older pt that had one? Also, are they easy to install?
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 10 May 2013, 04:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How much difference does adding rear sway bar make?

If you get all the hardware it is about a 1/2 hour installation with basic tools.
You will notice a very slight difference but a lot depends on the condition of the rest of your suspension components and tires.

You might also consider getting a front sway bar from a convertible PT. This will have a greater overall effect then the just adding a stock rear sway bar.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 May 2013, 04:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

thanks for the info! So if I was just doing one sway bar, would the front convertible one be the best option? Will the sway bar from the convertible work without any modification or extra parts?
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 10 May 2013, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
thanks for the info! So if I was just doing one sway bar, would the front convertible one be the best option? Will the sway bar from the convertible work without any modification or extra parts?
Yes and like with the rear make sure you all the hardware.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 May 2013, 05:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

I thought it made a pretty big difference. I could definitely tell a difference.
Old 10 May 2013, 09:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If got one to put on both the one's I'm going to keep. I'm not sure I'll need to know but they are going to get them.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 May 2013, 12:36 am
Senior Cruiser

I added just a rear bar and it was a night and day difference at first. It felt like the front end was floating and I was steering from the back end. After a few days and a few miles, I adjusted and adapted and it all seemed normal as pie.

The rule of thumb is..... add more bar in back to steer quicker with less push. Car manufacturers don't like to set them up this way because inexperienced, ham fisted drivers can get out of shape and spin out so the factory tunes the ride to under steer a bit. If you add more bar in front, you add under steer (push). You can upsize just the front and if you think it steers too slow, then add more bar in back to balance it out again. Or start with just a rear bar and if it's to antsy-dancey for you, upgrade the front to balance it out. In my case, I was happy with just the rear upgrade.

Lowering and plus sizing wheels/tires are a couple other things you can consider if you like to play in the corners.
Old 11 May 2013, 11:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

I don't think adding a bar or other minor change is going to meet this category, but
Oversteer can be dangerous-
Teekypt likes this.
Old 13 May 2013, 11:49 am
Cool Cruiser

my main reason for wanting a bigger sway bar is to cut down on body lean when cornering
Old 13 May 2013, 12:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
my main reason for wanting a bigger sway bar is to cut down on body lean when cornering
Don't we all!

It is not as easy as with so many other car/trucks. It takes careful planning not just simply throwing a few parts and good to go. I would see about working on the *front sway bar first as I recommend and then improve from that point if needed.

* either a stock PT convertible or aftermarket sway bar

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN