PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
lowering & trailering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2004, 05:33 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Default lowering & trailering

I'm very interested in lower the rear of my 2003 basic but I have a trailer hitch which I need to move my son back and forth from college, (PT was suppose to be a pickup). Wife was very understanding and agreed to get the Pt and a utility trailer. Question is by lowering could this affect my towing?[:I]
Old 17 Mar 2004, 09:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Iwould think yes. If you keep tongue weight low and don't lower much, you should be okay.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Mar 2004, 02:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

quicksilverdon,
If I lowered the back 2" and bought 16 or 17" rims could this help in my trailering question? Also I would still take the rake out of the car

Gonz
Old 21 Mar 2004, 04:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gonzomania

I'm very interested in lower the rear of my 2003 basic but I have a trailer hitch which I need to move my son back and forth from college, (PT was suppose to be a pickup). Wife was very understanding and agreed to get the Pt and a utility trailer. Question is by lowering could this affect my towing?[:I]
Yes, lowering could affect towing, especially if you are lowering just the rear of your PT. You are changing the weight distribution by lowering the rear only and you are changing the weight distribution by towing.

Be very careful when attempting to tow with a lowered vehicle. The PT has a very low load carrying capacity and very low towing capacity. When you lower a vehicle you are removing some of the spring travel which can (depending on the characteristics of the springs) cause the vehicle to bottom out easily when heavily loaded. Additional down-force on the rear suspension by the trailer when the rear suspension is on the stops can cause the weight to partially unload from the front-end, impacting traction and steering. Springs that make for a good ride usually don't make for a good towing control.

Any time you tow, make sure you are within the 1000 pound weight limit (trailer and all its contents) and that the hitch weight is 100 pounds maximum (per Chrysler). Hitch weight should not be less than 10% or more than 15% of the trailer weight for trailer handling stability. It is easy to check the hitch weight by lowering the hitch onto a bathroom scale. Then move heavy items in the trailer from the front to the back or vice-versa to get the hitch weight right. Remember that the PT itself is only rated to carry a load of 865 pounds including the driver, passengers, any "stuff" you have inside the PT AND the hitch weight. Remember that the weight of the hitch is behind the car so the fulcrum effect is multiplied.

Kids can accumulate lots of "stuff". Books and paper are extremely heavy for the volume they occupy, as is furniture.

Be careful out there.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.