PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I'm Back!. With photos of course :-D

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2013, 12:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Default I'm Back!. With photos of course :-D

I have not been on in a while, Work got insane, My fiancee had issues, So did my car and This is the first chance I've had.

So ill Give you an update on The pluminator. :-D

Last week I was driving through the city "Portland Maine". I ran into some construction. Well the workers had failed to put a cone in a 1ft deep, by 3foot wide pothole, which ate my front passenger tire as I passed.

It caused quite a bit of damage. Which follows.

Blown Tire
Bent rim.
Cracked axle
Fractured Strut
Shattered swaybar Link.

Soooo I decided to replace all those, also went with Moog swaybar links and bushings.

Then it got worse

I installed the Axle, strut and links in no time with no problems. However when I got to the Swaybar bushings. Everything went wrong.

I ended up snapping off 2 of the 14mm Bolt heads for the Bushing brackets . Which caused my swaybar to basically smack violently against the underside of my PT every time I hit so much as a small crack in the road.

Took her to the Dealer, they quoted me at $300 flat to drill out the bolts, then tap new holes and threads for new bolts.

I said Meh cant be too difficult. *I've tap and died many bolts before.

.....BOY WAS I WRONG. All the bolts i've taped before , have been on the top or side of things, This was on the under carriage and the bolts were facing down So even though It was only about an inch of bolt to drill, and an inch of frame to tap......With my car firmly on jackstands I only had 3 Inches of clearance between the back end of my Milwaulkee drill.....and the pavement meaning NO LEVERAGE .

Here are some photos of the 7.5 HOUR job.

First we have the broken bolt, They were the rear Bolts for the Swaybar mounting brackets. One had broken on each side of the car, so I had to do this whole thing twice.
IMG-20130522-00102.jpg

Next shows the bracket and how it was hanging with my swaybar.
IMG-20130522-00103.jpg

Here we have a nice hole drilled through the bolt using a Carbide drill bit *titanium burnt out before i got any metal threads to come out, This was at low speed with oil :/* And the carbide took 2 hours per bolt to drill out!
IMG-20130523-00107.jpg

Now this is after I Spent a good 35 minutes muscling the bracket back into place *believe it or not......these things are IMPOSSIBLE to bend*
IMG-20130523-00110.jpg

And lastly the finished product. 7.5 hours later , 2 hours of drilling, 2 hours of tapping , 2 hours of banging, bending and prying the brackets and 1 hour of bolt modification *the ones I got were the right size, but way too long, had to chop them 3-4 times, then grind down the ends so they would thread......*
I have fixed my dang $6 brackets! :-D
IMG-20130523-00111 (2).jpg

Note to the wise.....haha IF you dont have a lift.......DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS. It takes forever! and you get zero leverage whatsoever. haha Its now 1:19 am. I started the job at 5:30 Pm and i Just got home from my brothers house from doing it..I wish I had dropped the $300 haha.....But....now my car doesnt clunk anymore :-D
Old 24 May 2013, 01:42 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: I'm Back!. With photos of course :-D

OMFG! Feel your pain.

Where'd you get a carbide drill bit?!

I just took sway bar off the Neon. total, unneeded, option!
Old 24 May 2013, 07:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good to see you back . Good that you back to work. Remembered you had said you were off. I work from a floor jack. With stands. So I know the feeling all to well. I usually start by pb blasting bolt from all sides. Many times there are small holes to spray the backside with a straw. Then I take a big ballpin hammer and pound on the head of the bolt a few good whacks. Then Ill use an impact. running it in first and then backing it out. If still tight I'll run it in and out a little at a time till I work it all the way out. I figure you tried these thing before the broke, but for the sake of others reading I threw this out. The money well feel better in your pocket today after a few hours rest. Good you back running again.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 May 2013, 03:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Plume; that sounds like 2 bad days. Some states pay for car damage if it is due to their negligence. Worth a phone call.

Factory bolts are tough and hardened on the outside. Using a small sharp drill first then going to a larger drill seems easier.

As far as Busted idea of giving it a few good whacks, it's a good thought, but it won't get the car fixed !
Old 27 May 2013, 08:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yeah it definitely was a struggle. My brother had the bits laying around in his garage, used to work on 18wheelers so he had to drill Iron, steel, aluminium , sometimes titanium.

Hardest part by far was the leverage. I ended up sticking my crank jack under the drill and running her on med speed while slowly increasing the jack height. Was certainly not a fun fiasco. But now she rides nice and smooth haha
Old 27 May 2013, 09:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Plume; that sounds like 2 bad days. Some states pay for car damage if it is due to their negligence. Worth a phone call.

Factory bolts are tough and hardened on the outside. Using a small sharp drill first then going to a larger drill seems easier.

As far as Busted idea of giving it a few good whacks, it's a good thought, but it won't get the car fixed !
No, it only keeps you from breaking the bolts to begin with. If it ain't broke you don't have to fix it. The whacks shears the rust bond between the two and allows the bolt to be turn out instead of break and tap. Same principles used with impact wrenches.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 May 2013, 02:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Busted; the comment I made was not automobile related! HeHe
Old 28 May 2013, 07:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Oh, I get it now! LMBO.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 May 2013, 09:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Oh god!. there's way too many sharp parts under my car to be doing that! lmbo
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 29 May 2013, 09:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
Hardest part by far was the leverage.
My dad actually invented a lever/fulcrum deal that clamped on to a drill handle so you could press down with your weight instead of pushing up. This was back when he had a part time mororhome repair business in his early retirement.
rob342 likes this.