Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lowered now need tire size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2013, 07:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Lowered now need tire size

Ok, have not installed yet but will be this week. Eibach lowering kit and Tokico blues all around. I have and will keep 16" rims, but I want to know if I should stick to the stock tire size 205/55/16 or if I should go to 205/60/16 without any problems.
Old 02 Jun 2013, 10:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Lowered now need tire size

The 205/60-16 is about an inch taller tire. You may rub on the spring perch of the front struts. But I don't know if maybe the construction of the Tokicos gives you that extra room or not. My guess is that they are the same as stock because Tokico also makes the stock, black struts. You don't even have to jack your car up to test how much space you have. Just slip your finger between the top of the tire and the bottom of the spring to see for yourself how much space there is before you rub.

You will also be increasing your tire circumference so when your speedo is showing 60mph you will actually be going 62mph. Also with that taller tire, whatever amount you lower with springs, you will raise the car a 1/2" back up again.

Last edited by 2step; 02 Jun 2013 at 10:35 am.
Old 02 Jun 2013, 11:46 am
Cool Cruiser

2step, my steel wheels are actually vw wheels so I am going to use a 5mm spacer to keep them out of the struts. I will be using a 20mm spacer in the rear. I measured my tires to fender edge this morning and on the front I have about 4 1/2 inches clearance right now. The rear is about the same.
Old 02 Jun 2013, 02:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

It's possible or even likely you can get away with it. You are not doing anything extreme. I just wanted to give you a heads up on what to be careful about. A 5mm spacer is around 1/4". That won't completely clear the spring platform but it will help. Again, you can do the finger probe to get an idea of how a certain spacer or plus size tire will fit on the same wheel. A few owners have used the VW wheels so we know they fit and the offset is in the general ballpark.

Another thing, tire manufacturers round off their tire sizes. Sometimes they round up and sometimes down. A group of 205mm wide tires from different makers can vary by 1/4" or more. Usually that's not enough to get you in trouble unless you're playing it very close.
Old 02 Jun 2013, 06:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

I ordered the 205/55/16s for the front and 205/60/16s for the rear. I'm hoping the 5mm spacer works, I got the idea from another member who is using the vw wheels. He said he needed the spacer to clear the strut parts.