Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front end knocking when pulling away.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2013, 05:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front end knocking when pulling away.

I have a 2004 cruiser with almost 35k miles on the clock. We appear to have an intermittent fault which has been most noticeable on longer journeys when the weather has been hot (I'm in the UK so that's unusual!) which obviously could be a coincidence. No issues on today's 45 mile round trip.

There is a 'clonking' noise coming from the front drivers side. It is noticeable when you come to a full stop and it clunks just as you pull away. It made a smaller clunk going over bumps. When stationary and wobbling the steering wheel it also seems to be a bit clunky.

Mot advisory was that "front suspension bushings are slightly worn but no excessive movement".

Mechanic had a look and thinks its "knocking through the rack".

Help! Does anyone have any idea what this is likely to be and what is likely to need doing. Is leaving this untreated dangerous/damaging? And why on earth would it only be intermittent?

Thanks
Old 03 Jun 2013, 11:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Front end knocking when pulling away.

No idea.

Front end parts that always go are the lower control arm rear bushings, for engine mounts it's torque arms on passenger's side (you can fill them in with 'Windshield Urethane' for a lifetime cure.
Old 04 Jun 2013, 12:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Had to replace the rack in my 04 when it had just over 36000 mikes on it. The dealership did it and it cost me around 800 bucks. Now that I know more about them I would have a local shop do the change over and I would try to buy the rack at a local parts store.
Old 09 Jun 2013, 04:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have the exact same problem. It clunks after a stop, when it is over 70 degrees out , and after a long drive. We drove to Florida last winter, when we get into town, every time we left from a stop, CLUNCK. The next morning no clunck. Last year I changed the control arm's, Stabilizer links, & bushing's ,it still clunck's
It is a 2007 with 60,000 miles