PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front wheel bearing replacement... Never again!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2013, 10:08 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Front wheel bearing replacement... Never again!

After getting ridiculous quotes from he garage to replace a front wheel bearing, I decided to attack it myself... Bought replacement bearing for 29.99 from EBay and hit the workshop...

Loosened the main wheel nut, removing the cotter pin and cover first.
Removed the wheel and supported the car on axle stands...

Removed the brake calliper and secured it to the strut with a cable tie... So far so good!

Took off the control arm underneath then removed the tie rod end and loosened the lower ball joint.

Removed the strut bolts and lower ball joint bolt and removed the entire hub assembly... Still going well... For now!

The complete hub assembly, removed. One the fun really starts! Pressing the old bearings out was a complete *******!!!!

Having tried to press the smaller part of the hub out of the old bearing for about half an hour, gave up and went for a different approach! Loosened the bearing retaining plate a bit at a time and pressed the bearing out of the arm. Then, ran into the big problem...

I was left with the hub with the old bearing stuck tighter than hell! Had a brainwave... Dismantle the old bearing bit by bit! Easier said than done! I prised out the oil seals and was met with more iron filings the Metal Mickey's dandruff!!! Ended up cutting a piece out of the outer casing, just big enough to pull the individual rollers out and remove the outer casing.

This left the inside of the bearing race still tightly clamped onto the hub... Time to call in my two best mechanic friends... Oxygen and acetylene!!!

After a bit of heat and a breaker bar, finally the race came free!!!

The hub just needed a good clean up with some fine grit wet and dry!

All ready for the new bearing to sit on...

Cleaned up the inside of the arm with wet and dry too...

Ten it was back to the press to reinstall the new bearing into the arm first, then bolt on the retaining plate then finally press in the hub.

Glad to say that all is now well with the wheel bearing and the only whining I now hear is the wife!!!!

Not a job a would like to do again but hey... I know my way around another part of the car now! (And saved over 300 on the price quoted by my local garage!)

Thanks for taking he time o look at this thread!

2002 PT Cruiser CRD in Bright Silver.

Current Upgrades
Chrome door handle cups, chrome pillar covers, tinted windows, custom vinyl flame decals, alloy wheel decals, Enrgy bush kit, Engine cover MOD, LED Side Repeaters
17" Ace Manta Alloys, Red Brake callipers, Front grille MOD

Project list (wish list)
Rear bumper mod to DIY roll pan
Custom paint job (probably purple front end with flames running into the silver)
Air intake upgrade...
Old 17 Jun 2013, 10:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front wheel bearing replacement... Never again!

Not rocket science. Just a little work. You did a fine job. And all that money is in your pocket. Way to go!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Jun 2013, 10:18 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for posting this. I'm getting ready to replace a front bearing this week (all except the pressing - I'm going to a local shop for that). Not the most fun way to spend my time, but worth it to save a couple-hundred dollars versus what I was quoted for this job.

2005 N/A, Cool Vanilla
Adds
PT Wheel Centers, PT Valve Stem Caps
Mopar Chrome Exhaust Tip
Mopar Molded Rear Splash Guards
Mopar Rear Step Pad
K&N Filter
Pioneer Speakers/Receiver w/BlueTooth & HD Radio
Mopar Powered Sub
Old 17 Jun 2013, 10:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the pics and the write up! I am looking at doing this on my wife's car. I just recently did this on my Outback.

I haven't had a chance to look at the actual car yet so seeing pics of what to expect is nice. Doesn't seem too different from what I did on my outback except the bearing retaining ring. But that's beside the point.

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 17 Jun 2013, 11:14 am
Regular Cruiser

No probs...
Would have been a really easy job other than pressing the bearings out... Will definitely pay a shop to press them next time... Glad it's helped some out out.

2002 PT Cruiser CRD in Bright Silver.

Current Upgrades
Chrome door handle cups, chrome pillar covers, tinted windows, custom vinyl flame decals, alloy wheel decals, Enrgy bush kit, Engine cover MOD, LED Side Repeaters
17" Ace Manta Alloys, Red Brake callipers, Front grille MOD

Project list (wish list)
Rear bumper mod to DIY roll pan
Custom paint job (probably purple front end with flames running into the silver)
Air intake upgrade...
Old 19 Jun 2013, 02:31 am
Senior Cruiser

I noticed that the bearing is a double roller. The local auto place only lists a double ball bearing type. Do they interchange for all PTs?
Old 19 Jun 2013, 06:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Only whining from the wife ? She know there's 300quid back in your pocket ? ... Take my advice, tell her it's 100... the whining is easier to take then.
migrainemotor likes this.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 09:49 am
Senior Cruiser

When I did mine i used a smaller dead bearing off and old car and a 10lb sledge :-D. One good smash.....bearing popped right out. Then Used a Giant boulder vs new bearing vs bottle jack vs concrete wall to press it in ;-D

Cant afford a press haha. But hey it worked
Old 20 Jun 2013, 07:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Do you (or anyone) happen to know oil seal part numbers for this? I cannot seem to locate which ones are the correct ones.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 20 Jun 2013, 09:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If your speaking of the seal for the front hub. There built into the bearing.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com