PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What causes this?!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2013, 06:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default What causes this?!

So one of my tires was pretty bald so i went to a place that everyone at work uses to buy a used tire.

Got a a michilin with great tread for $40 mounted. I've used this place before so I didnt really think anything would be wrong.

However when i got about 20mph it felt like I was driving on a rumble strip on the highway.

I finally pulled over at a shop to have them check out said new to me used tire.

There are bulges ALL over the tread. *not the sidewall but the tread itself* Then flat spots right after, around the entire tire.

Long story short tire place tells me that if i drive the car at anything more than 30mph , im risking death or serious injury from a high speed blow out. and that this tire is severely illegal and should never have been sold even if used in the first place.

I plan to return this tire first thing in the morning but i would very much like to know what is wrong with the tire and what I should tell them when I return it. I'm assuming a broken belt? multiple broken belts?

Anything helps. thanks.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What causes this?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
So one of my tires was pretty bald so i went to a place that everyone at work uses to buy a used tire.

Got a a michilin with great tread for $40 mounted. I've used this place before so I didnt really think anything would be wrong.

However when i got about 20mph it felt like I was driving on a rumble strip on the highway.

I finally pulled over at a shop to have them check out said new to me used tire.

There are bulges ALL over the tread. *not the sidewall but the tread itself* Then flat spots right after, around the entire tire.

Long story short tire place tells me that if i drive the car at anything more than 30mph , im risking death or serious injury from a high speed blow out. and that this tire is severely illegal and should never have been sold even if used in the first place.

I plan to return this tire first thing in the morning but i would very much like to know what is wrong with the tire and what I should tell them when I return it. I'm assuming a broken belt? multiple broken belts?

Anything helps. thanks.
If it wasn't like that when you bought it, broken belts. If like that already then its bad shocks on the car that it was on. Scalping.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jun 2013, 07:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Just be glad it wasn't a condom ........... or maybe ?
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 07:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well i bought it as they were closing. I got about a mile away at 10mph *city traffic* and when traffic opened up and i hit 20mph........rumble strip. Suspension is brand new and all the tread is warped on the tire.......I'm thinking tread separation.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 11:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Michelin doesn't use a lot of 'undertread' in passenger tires so they will do this with slightly more frequency than lets say a Kelly- Especially if driven on gravel or they're fairly old.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 12:44 am
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: What causes this?!

Definately sounds like 'belt or ply separation' within the tire....I had this happen a year ago on my truck......When I went to get Texas state inspection sticker,I had to get the tire replaced.....And I just thought it was riding bumpy because of our sh*tty streets here in Corpus Christi,TX.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 02:36 am
Senior Cruiser

The tire was abused berore you got it. Probably overheated due to real low tire pressure, overweight, etc.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 06:21 am
Senior Cruiser

Yeah its certainly going back. and they ARE giving me a refund. I've bought many used tires for my car, infact all 4 are used. However in order to sell a used tire the tire must pass inspection, local shop told me they wouldnt pass this if I bribed them with $500. Thus making the tire illegal to sell in the first place. So either I get another tire, a refund, or their getting a visit from the state police for Violating DOT laws.......Still a pain in the butt that my boss has to pick me up for work *living 30 miles away from work* just so i can bring it in and get a new one :/.

I really dont know how the guy who put this thing on the rim didnt see this instantly. its visible from 15 feet away, and easily felt when a hand is run over it. Usually this shop has a great reputation with their used or re-treaded tires. This......is a massive safety failure however.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 09:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If the tread depth is the same on the low and high spots. Then you have belt or tread separation issues. If the tread is thinner in the low areas then its scalping buy the vehicle it was on.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Jun 2013, 09:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
If the tread depth is the same on the low and high spots. Then you have belt or tread separation issues. If the tread is thinner in the low areas then its scalping buy the vehicle it was on.
Its even. anyone else see something wrong?

20130619_103726.jpg

Last edited by pluminator; 19 Jun 2013 at 09:45 am.