PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Passenger side wheel noise. (Howling and roaring)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2013, 10:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Passenger side wheel noise. (Howling and roaring)

I know this has been asked before, but I guess I am just not getting it. I have this loud howling/roaring noise when I drive in a straight line or turn left. When I turn right it goes away. My car is showing a P0550 code as well. I know that means it is a power steering switch, but is it related?

I had my power steering pump replaced a few months ago. I had gotten two estimates that were contradictory. One said I needed a new rack and the other said that I needed new tie rods as well. When I read through the forums here they point to the wheel bearings and the bushings. Which one would it more likely be?

Also I have about zero trust in mechanics in this area now. I tried to change my oil and it appears that Valvoline had basically glued my oil drain plug in. I did go into their shop and they replaced it and changed my oil for free. (Of course they had to blame me for the plug being stripped. It wouldn't have been stripped if those jerks didn't glue it in.)

The guys who replaced my power steering pump decided that they didn't need to unscrew my splash guard. They literally ripped it off. (See other post about pan thingy) After getting under the car I see that it was in fact ripped off. The screws are still in their places with parts of the plastic attached to them.

So, is there something I can do myself? I don't really want to pay someone to lie to me and to damage the underside of my car, because they think I won't notice. (I am small and female, so I get that a lot!) If any directions are given, talk to me like I am a five year old. I am new to all of this, but driven to learn after years of disappointment...

Thanks!!

2002 PT Cruiser LTD auto trans.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Passenger side wheel noise. (Howling and roaring)

Ugh sorry about the service, I'm guessing this was not a dealership! As to your issue with the noise!

I've only heard the roaring sound in one front wheel drive car my little Tercel
no power steering so that was not an issue, it was the wheel bearing.

Power steering usually moans and groans and there would be lots of leaks on the drive way and it always needs fluid!

Bad wheel bearings roar like a freight train and it could bind up you gotta get it dealt with!
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18sw View Post
Ugh sorry about the service, I'm guessing this was not a dealership! As to your issue with the noise!

I've only heard the roaring sound in one front wheel drive car my little Tercel
no power steering so that was not an issue, it was the wheel bearing.

Power steering usually moans and groans and there would be lots of leaks on the drive way and it always needs fluid!

Bad wheel bearings roar like a freight train and it could bind up you gotta get it dealt with!
Any ball park idea on what costs should be for the service? I am kinda poor. Can I do this myself?
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Top of my head I'd guess no more than 300? I'm thinking a three hour job on and off?

Don't know your background or what tools you have ;if any, do you have a repair manual?

In theory you could do it or at least reduce the cost greatly by removing the spindle, taking it to a machine shop and having them press the bearing out and press the new one in.

Then you re-install the spindle and have an alignment done...anytime you do work on the front end you need to have the alignment checked!

But...your taking apart control systems on your car! Not a good place to learn on! Bolts would need to be torqued to spec to put things back together, sooo... Torque wrench, jack stands and basic hand tools would be necessary as well as a place to work on the car!

Now if a member ( that works on cars was nearby could help) or you have a friend that works on cars (suspension systems especially) then it's
an option short of that...no it's not a DIY job...sorry.

Last edited by Chip18sw; 21 Jun 2013 at 11:47 am.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You have a bad wheel bearing. Most likely the left, but that can be difficult to say for sure. These press in and out of the steering knuckle after you remove it. If you have a friend that is familiar with this to guide and help and has the tools, it's not rocket science. There is a post on here of this procedure.
The pressure sensor on the rack might be your code.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks you guys!

I emailed the dealership for a ball park estimate and I will look around for a reliable mechanic to do it. I watched the videos and it looks like kind of a daunting task. I have a garage full of tools that would probably do the job, but I don't trust myself enough at this point to do it. I will stick to small tinkering and repairs until I am ready for the big jobs. Crossing fingers that the estimates aren't too bad.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 11:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You have a bad wheel bearing. Most likely the left, but that can be difficult to say for sure. These press in and out of the steering knuckle after you remove it. If you have a friend that is familiar with this to guide and help and has the tools, it's not rocket science. There is a post on here of this procedure.
The pressure sensor on the rack might be your code.
Aww hence my long winded explanation. I'm a brain surgeon..not a rocket scientist!