PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 Pt Cruisier Grinding Noise

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jun 2013, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 Pt Cruisier Grinding Noise

I have a 2002 Pt Cruiser that has 116K miles on it. There was a slight grinding noise when I would brake going straight and then a grind noise started to come up when I would turn left. I was just going to change the brakes but in doing so I broke off the studs to the hub so I ended up replacing the front bearing, hub, rotor, and brake pads on both sides.

Now the grinding is even worse than it was before. When driving straight it has a deep grinding noise and a lighter grinding noise that sounds like the brakes are sticking. When I apply the brakes the lighter grinding noise goes away but the deep grinding noise is still there. Also when I turn left there is a horrible grinding noise. But when I turn right all the grinding noises go away. So I am completely confused as to what to look for here. Since I the bearings, hubs and brake pads are all brand new. and when I say brand new I mean as in just put on last night new.

Could it be the calibers? Or maybe the CV joint? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 25 Jun 2013, 03:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Pt Cruisier Grinding Noise

Did you replace the other side front wheel bearing? It's hard to tell the way you said it. Both sides should be done at the same time. That's what usually makes a grinding sound.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 04:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for not being clear, yes, I replace both left and right bearings, hubs, brake pads, and rotors.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 04:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

jack it up and see if the wheel makes the grinding noise, see if it wobbles, etc.. when i did my 2002 wheel brearing i had the pleasure of doing it twice. the parts store gave me a 33mm instead of 39mm. after driving 2 minutes it was grinding, the rim was hot, and it would wobble once i jacked the car up and wiggled the wheel.

did you over/under tighten the axle nut?

Last edited by rob342; 25 Jun 2013 at 04:18 pm.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will check that thanks. When I got the bearing the guy at the parts store said there was two different but didn't know how to tell which one I needed even though I had the spindle with old one right there. So he have me the 33mm one. when I had them pressed in, by a different place, the guy mentioned the same thing and said if it didn't fit he would let me know. But when I got them he said it must have been right.

I will jack it up tonight and try it, but wouldn't they have been able to tell when they pressed the bearings in at the machine shop?

Thanks.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 04:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker3801 View Post
I will check that thanks. When I got the bearing the guy at the parts store said there was two different but didn't know how to tell which one I needed even though I had the spindle with old one right there. So he have me the 33mm one. when I had them pressed in, by a different place, the guy mentioned the same thing and said if it didn't fit he would let me know. But when I got them he said it must have been right.

I will jack it up tonight and try it, but wouldn't they have been able to tell when they pressed the bearings in at the machine shop?

Thanks.
no. i had a ASE certified shop owning family friend do the pressing while i watched and inspected. i didnt catch it and niether did he. reason why: when he pressed the old one out, it fell into a scrap bucket with the rest of the crap he pressed out. when you press the new one on, it looks fine, you really can't visually notice. don't drive far like that. after a 2-5 minute drive my rim was finger burningly hot.

33mm is definitely the wrong one. no question about it. on the bright side, it's the kind of mistake you'll never make again.

Last edited by rob342; 25 Jun 2013 at 04:44 pm.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I always compare the new with the old before I install something like that. That's just me.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Jun 2013, 07:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

yea i would have too, but when you press it out and it pops into a bucket with a bunch more bearing races, it isn't that easy. they all look the same. i mean, after i picked up three or four that look the same and weren't the right one, i gave up. i wasn't about to catch it. presses scare me.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I looked up the part number, called the auto part store and the bearings that I purchased are the 39mm ones. So apparently I did get the right ones to begin with.

In regards to over tightening. I don't think I did because I tightened just enough to get the cotter pins in. And I was sure of that because since I was using an impact wrench I didn't want to over tighten them.

Is there anything else that could be causing these problems? Thanks again for all your help you guys. Really appreciate it.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 06:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Jack it up and try to wiggle the wheel, then spin it. Please?

Brake noise shouldn't change when you turn. When I changed my clutch last month I noticed I could wiggle the wheel before I cranked the axle nut tight.

Last edited by rob342; 26 Jun 2013 at 07:05 am.