PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lower Control Arm/Inner & Outer Tie Rods

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2013, 08:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Lower Control Arm/Inner & Outer Tie Rods

I'm going to be attempting to replace the lower control arms and inner/outer tie rods on my 2001 PT Cruiser LE. Also will be doing the sway bar links.

I'm going to to order the lower control arms that come with the bushings and ball joints already in place. So no need for me to press them in.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 10:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Lower Control Arm/Inner & Outer Tie Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisenAround View Post
I'm going to be attempting to replace the lower control arms and inner/outer tie rods on my 2001 PT Cruiser LE. Also will be doing the sway bar links.

I'm going to to order the lower control arms that come with the bushings and ball joints already in place. So no need for me to press them in.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
  • colorful language and beer helps greatly.
  • if the inner tierods are OK you might just change the outers, as they wear out faster. i believe inner tierods require a special tool, so if you do change them, make sure you have it.
  • the swaybar link bolts go in from the top so the threads point at the ground (i see a lot installed upside down).

here's my experience doing this job, hopefully yours goes better.
control arm fun. WEE!
Old 28 Jun 2013, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
  • colorful language and beer helps greatly.
  • if the inner tierods are OK you might just change the outers, as they wear out faster. i believe inner tierods require a special tool, so if you do change them, make sure you have it.
  • the swaybar link bolts go in from the top so the threads point at the ground (i see a lot installed upside down).

here's my experience doing this job, hopefully yours goes better.
control arm fun. WEE!

Thanks. I went and picked up the tool for the inner tie rods today. The inners are what the garage I went to said needed to be done. I figured since i was doing the inners might as well do the outers. I also picked up some heavy duty pry bards to help me move things around.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 06:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was able to do one side today, drivers side. It took 6.5 hours to do since I was figuring it out as I went. The main problem was getting the lower control arm in. I figured out that you have to remove the steering knuckle from the strut assembly completely to have enough play to get it in.

The other problem I had was the inner tie rod. I bought a universal inner tie rod removal tool but the tie rod didnt have the flat edges that the tool would latch on to. It was completely round and I couldnt remove it.

Tomorrow or next weekend is the passenger side.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 07:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Remember you are taking control of your repairs and saving a ton while your at it.
randyincctx likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Jul 2013, 07:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Lower Control Arm/Inner & Outer Tie Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisenAround View Post
The main problem was getting the lower control arm in. I figured out that you have to remove the steering knuckle from the strut assembly completely to have enough play to get it in.

The other problem I had was the inner tie rod. I bought a universal inner tie rod removal tool but the tie rod didnt have the flat edges that the tool would latch on to. It was completely round and I couldnt remove it.
I'm storing these kinds of tidbits in my brain for future reference....Thanks for posting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Remember you are taking control of your repairs and saving a ton while your at it.
That's the best feeling in the world to me....Standing back and admiring something you did with your own hands.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Yeah thats why I'm doing it. The shop I took my PT to for an alignment wanted over $750 to do all the repairs. I paid $200 for parts and $100 for some extra tools to make sure I could do it right.

Another good thing is that I found an inner tie rod tool that will work on round inner tie rods at Autozone. I have to pick it up tomorrow for $20. Then I can use the universal tool to install the new one.

After the inner tie rod on the drivers side I then have to do the inner/outer tie rods, lower control arm with the ball joint, and sway bar links and bushing on the passenger side. After that I have to do the watts link. Then finally I have to replace the EGR valve. I still need to order that from Rock Auto.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
I'm storing these kinds of tidbits in my brain for future reference....Thanks for posting
That's the best feeling in the world to me....Standing back and admiring something you did with your own hands.
If you have any specific questions about the process just let me know. The order I installed the lower control arm is I first put in the rear bushing. Then just threaded the bolt in a little so it didnt slide around. Then with the help of some pry bars and getting angy, I got the side bushing to go in. From there, I removed the steering knuckle from the strut with the two 22mm bolts. Once the knuckle was free from the strut I was able to get the ball joint in. Then bolted that in with the help of a pry bar to get the holes to align just right.

Hopefully the passenger side will go much easier now that I know what to do. lol
Old 13 Jul 2013, 11:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Lower Control Arm/Inner & Outer Tie Rods

It would have been alot easier if you used a 'Bushing Driver Set' from Autozone Loan-a-Tool(FREE!).....j/sOEM/Bushing driver set (27137) | Bushing Driver Tool | AutoZone.com
Old 14 Jul 2013, 07:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
It would have been alot easier if you used a 'Bushing Driver Set' from Autozone Loan-a-Tool(FREE!).....j/sOEM/Bushing driver set (27137) | Bushing Driver Tool | AutoZone.com
I purchased a whole new control arm that had the bushings and ball joint already installed. So no real need for a bushing driver set.